Thesteeleboy

Unit 6A late rifle Elk

I have drawn a late Elk tag for Unit 6a in Arizona. I plan to camp somewhere around Buckhorn Mountain and try to locate a good bull. I heard the late hunt is tough but I will try to find a high spot and do a lot of glassing. This will be my first trip into Unit 6a but i'm looking forward to it. After hearing from a couple other hunters I expect to have no trouble seeing a bull, but was told to not set my expectations to high as far as trophy quality. Have any of you hunted 6a and found this to be the case, or did I just talk to someone that never left his truck. The others I talked to said if I found a Bull pushing 300 I'd better take it or plan on going home empty. What are your suggestion's.

My older brother had that hunt in 2001 and he shot a big bull right where you're going. He was broke off right before his sword but his other side was an 8 point. They're in there, you just gotta work for them and glass a lot. Just remember, ANY elk, taken on public land is a trophy. I'd dump the first branch antlered bull I saw, but I like eating elk so score doesn't matter to me. Wish I could get away, I'd invite myself up there and help out, but I think my GF would gut me if I did, lol. Good luck, and post some pics of your bull!

Just hunted mule deer in 6A first week of November. Saw and heard elk almost every day. Had several bulls within bow range. One a fairly nice bull, but like Antmo23 said, I like eating elk so score doesn't matter to me, either.

Pm me of you want I will be up in 6a on the late hunt as well. Buckhorn mtn is a good start I got elk fever an missed a monster near alligator ridge thats right near buckhorn mtn on my first elk hunt. Rule of thumb for me don't shoot a smaller elk till at least the fourth day cause u can run into some real nice bachelor heards. Their will be many hunters hunting that area and also their is an area of road that you will need a rhino, ATV or one serious truck to get pass.

I've got a bull tag for the first week of Dec. Maybe I will see ya there. None of my buddies are able to go so Im hunting alone this year. I will have a lion tag to. Good Luck !

my wife signed her bull tag in 6a over to my 11 year old son so we will be there too. that hunt can get discouraging at times because of all the hunters but stay persistent and you will get one there are a ton of elk but a ton of hunters too! good luck to you!

I had hounds for 26 years and owned a lion hunting guide service { Western Sky's Outfitter's } for the last 6-8 years that I ran hound's. I know how rare it is to actually see a lion long enough to get a shot at it. You must have a lion infestation in that area and Im sure sorry to hear that. They sure take their toll on wildlife population's and now the wolf has been entered into the mix. Good luck on the elk and the lion, I hope your all successful.

I just got back from the Muzzy hunt.

The roads can be long and bumpy, but I think your in the right area.

You can scout and hunt for days without seeing anything, but when you find them you find them.

I didn't see anything for the first day of scouting, then I steeped around a juniper tree and had a herd of 100+ staring at me.

I passed on several dozen spikes and small 4X4s and 5X5s, and took a decent 5X5 the first evening.

P1010763.jpg

Didn't see anything opening day but a couple deer. This morning finally got into 2 groups of about 10 cows. It's warm out and the moon is helping at all... Anybody had early success? We Have heard shots both mornings but yet to see some antlers! Reply or PM

I have been all over the North side of Unit. I have seen a couple people with success. Saw 2 smaller bulls heading north across road on north side of rattlesnake quiet area. Other than that nothing. Haven't heard many shots either.

I just killed a small bull near the south side of the wet beaver wilderness area. I wanted to hold out for a big bull but the rough roads were taking a toll on my back. On sunday my brother spotted this one a long way out, and being the long-range shooting fenatic I an I had to take the shot. small busted up 6x but I had a great hunt.