Sign in to follow this  
kidso

Blew My Chance

Sat my ground blind all day Friday with nothing but crows and squirrels coming in to visit. Saturday around 9 am I heard a rock roll, while I was outside of my blind, and looked up to see an elk at 50 yards coming in quick. I peeked up to watch for antlers and saw the bottoms of them as the tops were in the tree branches. By now he was at 30 yards and cl;osing, so I grabbed my bow and quickly crawled into my blind. However, my didn't raise my second knee high enough and it cought the bottom edge of the blind, causing the entire blind to move, making a terrible racket on a noiseless morning. I heard a commotion and looked out. The bull had spooked and ran diagonally away from me,ehind two pine trees quartering away. All I could see from my angle was his back half. I panicked and drew my bow back, but my arrow was pointing out the blind's window and the bull apparently saw the movement and was gone. Lessons learned for next year. No meat, but an adrenaline rush all the same.

Ok I will ask the question. Why were you outside your blind at 9am? Just curious.

hehehe, I was wondering the same thing!!

Sorry your blew your chance, but at least you had one!

supposed to take a quart Gatorade bottle in the blind with you, or a gallon ziplock baggie - just don't step on the baggie on accident after you start filling it

• Like 1

Don't be too hard on yourself. True education comes from experience and from mistakes. This makes you just a little smarter hunter than you were before. Thanks for posting the story.

supposed to take a quart Gatorade bottle in the blind with you, or a gallon ziplock baggie - just don't step on the baggie on accident after you start filling it

I draw the line on poopin in a baggie. :lol:

• Like 1

I draw the line on poopin in a baggie. :lol:

No boubt! Maybe a diaper?

Ok I will ask the question. Why were you outside your blind at 9am? Just curious.

No, I was not relieving myself. I have a cheap and effective, but definitely too small in size, pop-up turret blind. I can only lay down inside its boundaries if I curl up in a fetal position, or lie on my back with my legs bent upwards. Anyways, I cleared a nice 8 x 10 foot section of forest floor directly in front of my blind's door and built up walls of fallen timber around its perimeter about 4 feet in height. That way, I could lay down and relax outside of my blind with plenty of room and still be in a natural-made blind with plenty of cover. The problem arose in that I decided to leave that still safe outer area and go inside my enclosed pop-up blind as the bull was coming straight towards me. I was afraid he would get too close and see me behind my walled fortress due to his extreme height, as he was on an elk trail that passed within two feet of my blind. In hind sight, I should have held my ground and stayed put, and probably would have had a 2 or 3 yard shot as he passed by me, but I panicked and felt that I needed a roof over my head so I would not be seen. Go figure. I blew it because I was afraid the bull would get too close and figure me out for what I was...a hunter.

• Like 1