Sign in to follow this  
bow.hunter8971

couse caliber

45-70 Goverment :lol: throw that fat pig out there and make something happen, all kidding aside my next rifle caliber choice may be a 270WSM, or 7WSM for the grey ghost, and backpack hunting.

I think one of the 6.5's would makes for the ultimate coues caliber. You couldn't go wrong with 260 rem, 6.5x284, 6.5 reg mag or a .264 WM. All are fast and flat and the bullet choices are second to none.

I just recently had a .264 WM completed. Just breaking in the barrel now.

• Like 1

i believe the rifle/ barrel and scope as a unit are more important than the caliber. remington sendero in the caliber of your choice. or ...........the one one with a krieger barrel . or .......the one that shoots a 6" 5 shot group at 700 yards. if you don't hand load it becomes more expensive , and more dicey what you call long range. 300 wm is offered in a lot of different factory ammo combos to try. and it seems to fairly forgiving one finding a accurate load. trying 5 or 6 different boxes of factroy ammo will become expensive quickly. and then practice ammo.............. the 300 wm is way more powerful than you need for coues, and for me a muzzle break would be a must.

Any of the 6.5 mentioned above would be great choices. Any of the more popular quarter bores would be good as well.

McMillan makes a limited edition Coues rifle and they choose 6.5. They know their stuff, and they know long distance. I'd trust that as starting point. It's only $5100 so get two!

• Like 1

I think any gun from 6mm up would do you fine for just coues. I haven't really looked at the ballistics of say a .243 to know how well it will do at long range, but many of coues have fallen to it and bench rest shooters use various wildcats of 6mm to reach out long range.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the guns already suggested. As roninflag said the key is the rifle,scope and operator set up. The $5000 McMillan won't do a bit of good if you don't put good shooting practice and procedures to work.