Sign in to follow this  
bow.hunter8971

couse caliber

257 STW

I love my son's new 270WSM ... if I were going today that is what I would take. However, I will be building a 6.5-06 AI midyear next year. Supposed to be very similar ballistically to the 6.5x284, but with a smoother feed. From the research, I really like the caliber.

That said ... hard to beat a quarter bore for Coues ... less damage ... flat trajectory ... old Weatherby knew what he was doing when he came up with the .257 Wby Mag.

• Like 1

6.5-06 ackley will outrun the 284 quite handily. A 140 at 3100 is easily done. The standard 6.5-06 and the 6.5-284 have the same case capacities and are ballistic twins.

If you are looking to build off a Remington 700 sportsmans warehouse will have their 700 ADL's for $380 on Friday only.

Seel the barrel and the trigger and the stock and you can easily get another $100 back.

Depends on how far you really are going to shoot. The 6.5-284 is a great caliber. But nothing beats the 300 ultra when it comes to really long shots. I will have both soon. Just waiting for my Schneider barrel to show up in a few weeks so I can have my 6.5-284 built

I just had a 270wsm built, for our clients to kill Coues with (and me, occasionally).

Just got it dialed in, and flipped over an elk with it two days ago. Pretty handy little caliber.

I would say a 25/06 it is flat fast and little recoil. I have used one for two years and love it even stopped using my trusty 270 witch would be my next in line. Just remember that you might plan for long shots but you might get a close one. The bigger guns have there place but I have seen more deer walk with big guns then dropped in there tracks. Both the 25/06 and .270 are the best imo great from 25 yards out to 500 or 600 no matter what you get get a good scope (leupold vx3) and shoot it alot If you dont reload become friends with someone that does. I shoot about 250 rounds a year with my 3 guns that I might use. So know your gun and what it can do and what you can do with it.If you can find people that will let you shoot there guns.