Sign in to follow this  
Bryson Bendall

Took out my 10 year old sister Thanksgiving morning and...

GOT ONE!!! I got the howler out last night about 9:00 pm and got a pack to howl back from the backyard of my parent's house, so I knew I had to get out first thing in the morning and make a couple of stands before playing in a turkey bowl. When I was in high school I used to take my little sister out fishing and since then she has been hooked on the outdoors. She recently got interested in hunting so I asked her if she wanted to come and she said "heck yeah!!!". So, we threw on some camo and I grabbed my shot gun. Our first set up had some coyotes howling back at us, but we only had about 50 yards of visibility and didn't ever have anything come in after about 20 minutes. So we packed back up and walked about 800 more yards to a wash that I had called before a couple of times. We set down at the edge of a 20 foot drop off into the wash and I called about 5 minutes. Soon I hear whispered, "HEY" I look at Hannah and she is pointing across the wash. Sure enough, there is a coyote sky-lined on the top of the hill about 300 yards away locked in on us. I say "okay, don't move and be really quiet". I lip squeaked a few times and he came in on a string, trotting to the mesquite tree line and stopping at 40 yards... where he caught a chest full of #4 buck shot. It was her first coyote calling adventure, SHE SPOTTED IT, and my first time shooting a yote with my shot gun. It was a great way to start off Thanksgiving... I am thankful for my family, God's creations, and a country where I can enjoy what I love to do.

post-299-0-40705400-1353605077_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-88483700-1353605170_thumb.jpg

I haven't shot a ton of coyotes but in my opinion he was a pretty good size desert dog. You can also see the drop off that we sat up on behind me.

It is my Browning B80 that was given to me several years ago by my grandmother. It was her turkey gun when she lived in Alabama, and they had the barrel shortened to fit her a little better. It is light and very convenient and makes for a great coyote gun.

Nice job! Those coyotes can be tough to get a shot at, but you did well. Thanks a lot for posing with that shotgun (lol). I almost forgot how bad I want one of those Brownings with the straight stock.