Shiras

Nm unit 23 coues

I spoke with the biologist for unit 23, and he was telling me that last year when he was hunting he ran into a lot of coues and mule in this unit. I am fortunate enough to go out there this fall with a friend and he wants a mule and I obviously would love a coues. Just trying to figure out where a good mix may be for an otc tag. This will only be my 2nd hunting trip out west. First one was back in '99 on a unsuccessful bear hunt in unit 23 and 16, so I somewhat know the area, thus the reason for me picking this area. I live in Tulsa, Ok. and am looked at as a bonafide kook for wanting to hunt these grey ghosts (by my immediate circle of hunting friends, not understanding why I don't want a muley or whitetail). I would much rather have a 110 coues than a nice muley. These deer have mesmerized me for a long time, and the thought of possibly harvesting one seems to be the ultimate for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

I hunted it last year with 2 buddies. We all spent alot of time scouting and saw some nice bucks, found some really good sheds and killed a decent one between the three of us. I missed a really good buck and so did the other guy who didn't tag out. From what I can tell the coues are scattered in pockets in the unit and seem to prefer steep slopes with heavy junipers. We never saw any in the pine trees and we looked. It is big country and you can literally spend 2 or 3 days glassing before you find a good deer pocket, once you do, hunt it hard because more than likely there is a good buck around, especially if you aren't seeing anyone else hunting it hard. We noticed alot of road hunters and people working the flats, I am pretty sure they were after muleys for the most part. The muleys seem to be in good shape over there and we saw several smaller bucks and large bands of does almost everywhere. Good luck

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

Guest Guest

Be sure to buy a lion tag before you go. Last time I hunted there we saw 5 different lions in as many days. i think there were 8 lion sightings total. On morning you could see four lions without moving your binocs. One in our group did kill a decent buck, and we saw lots of deer.

P.S. you must purchase a lion or bear tag (we saw a nice bear too) 5 days prior to hunting.

Good luck and good hunting.

Jeff Falls

I think I would rather try unit 27, but the odds are so horrible. I live in unit 23, so I do know there is a 30+ spread mule deer buck that I have seen in that area. I also know there is good coues deer right along the border. I put in for the youth hunt. It's a long shot with the draw though.

CouesSlayer

Edited by CouesSlayer