AZ_SAWBUCK

THINK DEER WILL START TO RUT ANY TIME SOON?

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS THE 6A DECEMBER TAG AND HE IS A BIT NERVOUS THAT THE DEER WONT BE MOVING SINCE WINTER HAS NOT REALLY HIT YET. ANYONE UP IN THAT AREA SEEN ANY RUT ACTIVITY YET?

Not much moving yet I have the same hunt and also a friend and he has been up their as well and the same story but the moon is still pretty full for im guessing that might have something to do with the little movement

Saw a real nice 4x4 with about 6 does with him not sure that means their rutting but don't usually see one that big with does.

I have a 33 dec tag. I am praying for some cold weather and pre rut movement at this point. Dont think you will see the rut till January at best with this weather.

At the rate things are going, I don't think we'll see the rut before Febuary. Sorry guys.

The rut is independent of weather. Rutting behavior in both bucks and does is dependent on changes in the amount of circulating hormones. These changes are triggered by changes in photoperiod (changes in day length). Like all of us, deer move about more when it's cold, but even when it's temperate the hormones flow and does get bred. Our rut here in the Boot Heel peaks between the second week of December and Christmas, based on the frequency of fawn drops. One characteristic of Coues whitetails is that the breeding season is long compared to those other native deer. Our fawn drops begin in June and last through August. Early in the rut, receptive does are not hard to find and bucks don't have to search that hard. At the rut wears on, there are fewer does coming into estrous and bucks do a lot more searching. Unfortunately, this happens after our last rifle hunt here in New Mexico, but the January archery hunters definitely benefit.

• Like 2

Just got back from 24a and the bucks were fighting and chasing does and I mean both small bucks and big bucks. Found groups of bucks fighting and bucks with does.

Out at the moment and the whitetail bucks I have seen have been far away from the does.

My bro is up in 24a right now and things are not going well for him so far. 3 days of glassing and only 1little buck