AZ_SAWBUCK

THINK DEER WILL START TO RUT ANY TIME SOON?

Didn't see any rutting down south this weekend...does in small groups and bucks by themselves. Maybe gettin close though. Need a cold snap...75 degree days isn't going to get them going.

I've been in 24a and haven't seen much activity, about 20 doe, a forky, and a button buck....hopefully this week gets better...or maybe I need to try a new spot...but I feel like its tough to move seeing all the doe...I would think there would be some bucks around the doe

bucks can scent check does from 100's of yards away (downwind). If you are seeing does, glass downwind or if they are on a hillside, check the ridge lines above. The thermals carry the scent up slope during the day and the bucks cruise the ridge lines trying to find the does. The bucks often will not move in to follow a doe until he knows the doe is ready to breed or close to it.

bucks can scent check does from 100's of yards away (downwind). If you are seeing does, glass downwind or if they are on a hillside, check the ridge lines above. The thermals carry the scent up slope during the day and the bucks cruise the ridge lines trying to find the does. The bucks often will not move in to follow a doe until he knows the doe is ready to breed or close to it.

never thought about it like that...

thanks for the insight DB.

James

Saw some bucks by themselves and a bachelor group of 3 bucks up in 24a. Not rutting yet. Had to come back to work. Wish I was still up there

I've got my first late whitetail hunt this year and can't hardly wait! I've got the first week to hunt and the last 6 days. In your opinion with this years weather, what week will be my best opportunity to experience the rut? It seems like some units are firing off better than others. FYI if elevation helps, I'll be in the range of 5600 ft to 8000 ft. -Ryan

Last weekend, I saw two instances where bucks were chasing does in 22.

That's what I like to hear! First week will be good because of new moon