ruffcountry

Who's ready for bear?

hey guys, myself and a buddy would like to take up bear hunting but have no idea what we are doing!!! LOL. just bein honest. we both have taken coues, elk, javelina and other things of that nature, but never a bear. would any of you gentlemen or ladies be willing to give us a place or two to take a look at? i would apprecitae any help given, thanks guys!!!!

Any of you experieced bear hunters care to talk about where and how to hunt bear. You don't have to give up your favorite honey hole , just your favorite type of terrain ,techniques.tactics , time of day ,etc. Anybody tried calling bear with a varmint call? I have never hunted bears before and I am looking forward to giving it a try.

The main thing with bears is they are where the food is! The best is when the Prickly Pears are ripe, the bears will be in them and are easier to glass up. Glassing for them in these food sources is I feel the best tactic, but if they seem to be in thicker country, a varmint call works as well. With varmint calling, always have a big backstop such as a tree so they don't get ya from behind! I feel it's best to be close in to where you think a bear might be and blow loud and long on the call. I've seen them stop and start to turn around as soon as you stop calling. Keep calling as long as you can if you feel there is probably a bear in the area, at least 45 mins. An electronic caller is best for this because a mouth blown call will wear you out fast. A jackrabbit tape/call or a fawn in distress work well but make sure the wind is blowing in your face no matter what, one whiff and a bear will swap ends as fast as an Elk! Best of luck to ya, JIM>

Thanks for the input. We're hunting Unit 31 10/6. Has any body taken any bear in Unit 31? We were scouting last weekend and didn't see a thing (except whitetail).

"There is bears here? Where do they live? What do they eat? Are you allowed to shoot them? This is all major news.....Bret M."

Dear Bullwidegeon:

To answer your questions:

1. Yep, we got bears. One was messing with my wife's bird feeders a few weeks back.

2. In the woods, the same place they deficate.

3. You better not shoot my wife's bear. After 50 years with her, I know for sure you don't want that kind of trouble.

Bill Quimby :P

i killed a bear in 31 about 6 years ago, they were way down eating mesquite beans i killed it about 1-1 half miles east of fort grant that was a wierd year, haven't seen em there since. there's a lot of prickly pear you can glass from the pavement east of stockton pass,seen a real nice coues there also. also saw a bear on the north part of the pinaleno's there's some cactus there too. oh ya game and fish said that sow i killed was 20 years old it was a cinnamon bear.

"Ahh Mr. Quimby, Do you have a bull in your yard tied up for me? Archery elk starts soon . I hope you had a good time in Australia with Logan. See you soon Bret M."

Brett:

I haven't seen a good bull in our yard since the warden shot the crippled one last year. But I have seen the bulls you saw with your grandfather. (I heard all about it.) You might try for one of them.

Australia was great. Although I didn't get to shoot anything, Logan and I went fishing in the Daintree River on the Top End. He caught all the fish, of course. I was impressed with the size of their crocodiles. They were much larger than any I've seen in Africa, and they were on just about every sand bank in that river. Our guide talked about having crocs grab fish as they were being reeled into the boat.

Bill Quimby

I will be hunting the San Carlos soon! I am pretty stoked :P

How does somebody go about getting information for San Carlos.

This link will get you most of what you need to know, calling them is a better way! JIM>

http://www.sancarlosrecreationandwildlife.com/

Save a bear for me, or at least only shoot the boars ,so the season will stay open . Unexpected work has been piled on me and I can't see getting away for at least another week :P . Good luck guys , but I hope you leave one for me :lol: .

Me and Muskrat went out yesterday. Saw two bears, but nothing worthy of shooting. One small/medium (5') black bear and one medium (5-1/2') cinnimon phased. I am pretty sure they were both sows. Long legs and big Mickey Mouse ears. They were in the pears, but the pears were still green. The first bear I saw was going from pear to pear, tasting a fruit them moving on. I found a batch of pears that were starting to turn purple. I hope the season stays open antyoher week, I think they will be in there in the next few days.

It was a good hunt. There was one camp along the road, but back in the Wilderness Area there was no one. Can't beat having 100,000 acres to yourself!

Muskrat had to leave in the evening, but I backpacked in about 1-1/2 miles and stayed over night. Didn't get much sleep due the fact of there was bear sign EVERYWHEREand the heat sucked. Ran out of water and had to drink some nasty spring water. Not good. I really need to get a water filter. Those water treatment pills don't cut it when the water is green and there are little 8 legged swimmers in it.

I agree with the above poster, please don't shoot the sows, lets's keep the season open for another week or so.

Ran out of water and had to drink some nasty spring water. Not good. I really need to get a water filter. Those water treatment pills don't cut it when the water is green and there are little 8 legged swimmers in it.

Desert bull,

Can't go wrong with this - it weighs 1lb and is virtually indestrucable and can save your life.

As you know water is everything in Arizona...

http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/miniworks_ex.asp

The MiniWorks EX is the best-selling filter on the market, delivering long-lasting, fully field-maintainable water filtration. Its durable ceramic element ensures protection, pumps water for years, and can be cleaned repeatedly for full recovery, with no tools required for complete disassembly. The MiniWorks is also lightweight, compact, and, thanks to its innovative AirSpring Accumulator?, capable of pumping one liter of water per minute.

Thanks for the update on the bears...