Sign in to follow this  
POB

Ideas on a quad...

I have the four seater teryx and love it! It has power steering, and it's fuel injected. I looked at the polaris rzr also, but it is more of a dunes toy then a hunting vehicle. The back seats in the rzr are really small and aren't very comfortable for a adult. The 4 seater rzr goes for right around $20k! I got my treyx out the door for $14,600 which was about $2k less then what everyone else was selling them for. Go talk to the guy at jetski unlimited he has the lowest prices on teryx's in the state.

Jade, we have the full for now. Trying to get my dad to take ie off until we can figure something out. The dust is literally unbearable.

For dust you need the rear wind shield. That is where the dust is coming from.

I've got a Polaris Ranger 700 ('06) and absolutely love it. If you are patient, you can find great deals on them. I picked mine up for $7500 including a really nice trailer and it had under 100 hours on it. Took a lot of looking and waiting, but those deals do show up from time to time.

The only downside, as others have mentioned, is the dust. It's got a glass windshield and canvas top and that combo just sucks the dust in from the back. After a full day family outing even with goggles, bandannas, etc, we've all got dust in every crevice. If you can buy or make a back windshield, or even just put up a blanket over the back, it helps a lot.

What is nice is all 5 of us can ride in it no problem, even with hunting gear.

Comparing a side-by-side against a quad is apples-to-oranges. A quad will go more places, and is a lot more nimble, but they really seem to wear you out after even just one day. And when it's cold out - well, you just freeze your face and hands off.

If you are in the market for a side by side, then you need to seriously take a look at the cost for what you get. For what those things cost you can by a 1997 or newer Jeep. It has coil springs and rides as good or better than all of the SxS I have been in. Plus the Jeep has a heater, and air conditioning. If you need the dust to cover you then you can just take the top off! LOL Another plus of the jeep is that you don't have to worry about the OHV stickers, and helmet requirements etc.No need for a truck and trailer to haul either, you can get in it drive it hunting, and then drive it home on cruise control.

I must agree, however, if one wishes to to travel the roads (mostly all closed now) on Anderson Mesa, a old school quad is the ticket. That is unless you are able to afford a unlimited Class Buggy capable of enduring the Baja 1000 race. Anderson Mesa is the most miserable country to cover in a vehicle.

I was in your same shoes about 8 months ago. A friend of mine talked some sense into me. For the price of a SxS, you can get a really nice Jeep Wranger that will go most everywhere a SxS will go, and you will have a roof over your head, a really good heater if you need it, and if there's a demand, it will haul four people versus two.

I bought a '99 Wranger back in May, and it has served me well on three hunts. My only regret is that, for the same money, I didn't look into buying a 4x4 truck that would haul a lot more. That's been my only regret. Otherwise, it's been a fun and effective hunt vehicle.

Just mey two cents worth.

I have to admit, when comparing a side by side, vs a jeep, If you work it right, you can get a lot more vehicle for your money buying a jeep. Insurance is more, but one one hand you have an actual vehicle with a strong motor, vs. a an OHV, which is kind of a toy.

I've been keeping my eye out for a CJ7, toyo FJ, or a clean 87 4-Runner. I've owned and driven a lot of vehicles over the years. A good clean first generation 4Runner is about as good as they come. Yes they do lose the solid front axle, when they get EFI, but with the right rear locker, they will go anywhere.

I've got an older (73) 4X4 dodge . the problem is size, it's just too wide for most of the trails that have carved up by the quads. Maybe a jeep. Thanks for all the responses.

We have an original 2002 ranger at the ranch. It has been used, and used and used. It has never seen a paved road, sat out in the weather for the first seven years and now has over 2000 dirt road HOURS on it. The drive belt is original. The temperature switch for the fan quit but I wired the fan to come on whenever the engine is running. That happened several years ago. It has been put to the test and passed . I bought my own in 2009. I really can't find much negative to say about it. We have the half windshields on ours and dust doesn't seem to be a problem at all. The clamps for the top are kind of cheesy so I replaced them with 11/2 " one hole conduit clamps. I would recommend a ranger for all around versatility. The rear shocks are also adjustable for payload and ride.