Sign in to follow this  
2 Full Curls

Walking Stick Suggestion?

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about getting a walking stick for the pops and possibly myself. I would like to get some suggestions on brands guys use?

I know some guys use ski poles and some use pieces of wood, but I'm interested in purchasing a manufactured hiking pole of some sort.

All suggestions and comments will be helpful... Thanks!

You may consider Bog Pod Shooting sticks...they are light weight, yet sturdy, quickly adjustable in height, have removeable rubber boots and are easy to pack up a hill when not used for walking....we replace the stock "V" shooting platform with Jim White's modular shooting system (male Binocular adaptor/female receiver attachment piece/male "Jimmy's" shooting rest)....that way we can very quickly swap our binos for a "U" shaped shooting rest to use when making the shot... I believe Jim's shooting system is available for review/purchase at the "online" Coueswhitetail Store...

I make them out of saguaro ribs, sand smooth, finish with lemon oil and sew on a leather handle. Made a few the right height so the owner can rest their glass on them while standing, makes for a good platform for hasty glassing while on the move.

This is what my dad uses. He gets years of use out of them. He is 82 years old, crippled from polio, weighs 230 pounds and leans on his stick all day. They are lightweight and nearly indestructible. Just don't leave them in the back of a pickup in a public parking place. They have a way of vanishing.

http://www.canecentral.com/hvy-1231.html

You may consider Bog Pod Shooting sticks...they are light weight, yet sturdy, quickly adjustable in height, have removeable rubber boots and are easy to pack up a hill when not used for walking....we replace the stock "V" shooting platform with Jim White's modular shooting system (male Binocular adaptor/female receiver attachment piece/male "Jimmy's" shooting rest)....that way we can very quickly swap our binos for a "U" shaped shooting rest to use when making the shot... I believe Jim's shooting system is available for review/purchase at the "online" Coueswhitetail Store...

Sounds very useful...post some pics if you get a chance.

And yes, I have the Jim White receivers and shooting rest in the coueswhitetail.com store

http://store.coueswhitetail.com

I use a pair of trekking poles, I lose wicked man points but they are awesome. No losing balance, no falls with rifles or gear.

http://www.leki.com/trekking-poles/vario-xs

• Like 1

The original AZ walking stick was invented by John Doyle. He called it his moses stick. It is made out of a sotol stalk. I put a soft knob made out of a old sock on mine to rest the Binocs on. Works great, lasts a long time, saved me from many a fall, and is free.

I try to get "multi-function" out of my gear. I use three different types of hiking poles.

Mostly, I use the "moses pole" mentioned above (yucca pole). They are strong enough to support your weight, and light weight to carry. They are free, and can be customized to your liking. I wrap leather around it for a grip. I've found that your bare hands will get splinters, so you need a grip or gloves. I also wrap them with the camo self-cling tape. Be sure to cut them long enough to glass from. Great project for the kids too.

For rifle hunts, I typically care the tall Stoney Point shooting sticks, with the twist and expand legs. These are light weight and offer good support. They are tall enough to glass from, if you rest them on a rock or the toe of your boot. And you have good shooting sticks at the ready.

In my pack frame, I have the typical, colapsible trekking poles. If I have to use the pack frame for a heavy meat load, I use the trekking poles for the extra stability. Not much good for glassing from, unless you're sitting on the ground.

ThomC....... only we senior Coues hunters know the name and legend John Doyle.

I put a rubber crutch tip on mine for extra stability. The crutch tips last forever.

• Like 1

I really like the Stoney Point Explorer. Good walking/shooting stick.

I have one of these as well. Very good stick.