DesertBull

Michigan tells Unions to back off

Desert Bull,

You might be right but speaking from experience no matter what you think you know neither does the company. They both want to know how you voted and I guarantee if the employer found out you voted union you would be gone within a year. The unions were the ones who got the secret vote established so the employer couldn't retaliate, if he found out a worker supported the union. Where in the heck did you get this crap that the unions wanted to do away with the secret voting. And don't tell me TV.

IMO Unions did have a purpose and but today they have created an artificial middle-class... I hate to say it but someone pushing a broom shouldn't get $20-$30 an hour... It just doesn't make sense and it pushes up the prices of everything..

Unions aside, I have little doubt that Obama will have minimum wage between $20 - $30 per hour by the end of this term.

.....and a Big Mac will cost $20

I have been a union member (never again) and a member of a huge union. I am very informed and i know from experience that unions are bad for society. Some may like them, some hate them, but in the long run unions put companies out of business and promote laziness.

Companies need to be able to fire and hire as wanted in order to survive. Companies need to be able to pay according to performance to survive, companies need to be able to pay the same low wage entry level job accordingly for years and years. If you want a promotion or raise, work hard and earn it.

At the end of the day, who signs your paycheck? The company or the union?

• Like 2

I respectively disagree. Unions built this nation. Lessons learned with workers blood.

Evan IAFF Local 3924

Right to work laws do not mean you can't join a union. It means you cannot be forced to in order to gain employment.

Absolutely correct. Although these lame duck laws take away more than just forcing people to pay dues. The new Michigan bill says you must have 100% of all employees paying dues and 75% of those agree just to have a seat at the table, to bargain for working conditions and meet with management. This is only after a year long process of verification.

I'm Proud to work in a 100% Union Fire Dept. here in Arizona! For example, being organized has given us a right to sit and discuss what type of equipment I wear on my back and what type of equipment I carry on my truck vs. letting my city manager and city council make the decisions for me. Cheap three bid procurement equipment kills folks in my profession. It's not always about rewarding a "lazy worker" or about "pay" A lot of the times it is about the things that keep us safe as the worker.

As I said, I respectively disagree, I am more proud to be an american and have the right to an opinion. Happy Hunting!

So what are you going to do when the financially strapped municipality that you work for can not afford to give you a raise and your union puts you on strike? when instead of responding to a fire you are standing in a picket line?

We havent accepted a raise in 4 years, even though it's built into our contract. Infact we have taken furlough days in order to prevent layoffs citywide. Our Union like most Arizona fire unions placed a no strike clause in our contract ourselves! Tell me the last time you saw a fire department strike? Really?

I really like the wording in your anti union literature. But I am sorry that you missed the point. They want to do away with the vote all together. Like it used to be. If the majority of workers signed the card that was enough. It's all about the wording and the typical anti press. As it is now a majority has to sign cards to even move to the secret vote. So it is redundant. If the majority signed cards then why move ahead with a secret vote. Employers put that in so they could organize threats and intimidation after they found out about the forming of the union. You really should study more about this.

They want to do away with the vote all together.

so, I was right. They want to end the secret ballot. Does the union and the management get to see how you signed the card? YES! Hence, the privacy of your vote is gone.

Word games.

The union has always known. If you get a card you either sign it or throw it away. Thats what they are. They are a sort of petition to form a union. There isn't even a vote now without the union knowing who signed the cards. So you don't even know how it works. If the majority of workers sign the card the cards are sent to the labor board to review if the signed cards are legit', So no matter what, the union and national labor relations board knows. They have always known. That is why the cards go to the NLRB. And that is who certifies the results. Not the union or the Company. This system was used to keep employers from firing people they knew were pro union. I know this fly's in the face of your conspiracy theory but that is the way it has always been. The news and Multi Billion dollar anti union campaign like to use a play on words to get reactions from people that don't even know how the system works. And it worked on you. Big money had enough votes in congress several years back to apply this secret ballot thing in, so it would give them time to react and try to persuade workers to change their minds and not vote yes. The cards were signed and that used to be enough. It always helps to know the facts before believing either side of a political arguement. I agree given face value of what is said in the article, it sounds like its some big conspiracy to find out how people voted. Slanting a view. Imagine that.

Yes you are right it is a play on words. and no. The union and company do not get to see who signed the cards only the union does. If you don't want a union you just don't turn in a card. It is as simple as signing a petition. You either do, or you don't.

Hawkeye, my cousin is on theTucson police force. I believe he told me that as a member of a public service organization, they cannot strike. Is that true and does that also apply to the fire dept.?

Hawkeye,

Hey brother. There is no sense in kicking a dead horse when we live in a right to work state. We don't have a shot in heck trying to fight against all these republicans. There are those people on here that probably have worked union then went back non-union but they never started out union in the first place so they don't know what true brotherhood is. The Michigan "Thug" that beat up the right to work guy wasn't fighting just to fight he was fighting to keep food on his family's table. Nobody in this right to work state understands that. The brotherhood is more than just a bunch of "Thugs", it's a family. If someone threatened your family you'd stand up and fight too. I think that all of these RATS have it wrong.It is not our fault that our pension is better than theirs. These Rats are the same guys that invest their own money into 401k $ for $. These are the same guys that work for the same contractors that hire border jumpers that work fof 5 bucks a hour and the contractor charges primo rate. The customer doesnt see that part. I bet they shop at Wal-Mart. I bet they drive Duramax Diesel that has a ISUZU motor in it.

The UNION has always been good to me. I have no complaints I am not lazy and when I do see that lazy person I run him off my job.I have no room in my life for lazy people. I think when it comes down to it you all hate the UNIONS. If you had Romney as Pres would you feel the same way? I know for a fact if Kennedy was pres you all wouldnt talk this crap.

I know some of you hunt the REZ thats OK though their stopping 400 RAT jobs and 4 UNION jobs.Thats OK though.When I goto bed tonight I know I wont be shakeing bells and putting smiley faces on my grandchildren at the door of Wal-Mart because I was a FAT RAT that has no pride in his work. Thanks JAY.

• Like 1

I bet walmart employees wish they were union. While their employer is making billions of dollars they are making pennies with horrible insurance they pay a premium for.

Someone said unions are putting businesses out of business but I see Albertsons and bashas closing a lot of stores here in the valley, they aren't union. Frys and Safeways are union and last time I checked they were doing well. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

I bet walmart employees wish they were union. While their employer is making billions of dollars they are making pennies with horrible insurance they pay a premium for.

Someone said unions are putting businesses out of business but I see Albertsons and bashas closing a lot of stores here in the valley, they aren't union. Frys and Safeways are union and last time I checked they were doing well. Just my 2 cents

A -MEN brother. I wish some would spend more time in the woods than here. They would kill better deer.
  • Like 1

This one's for you Hawkeye. [media=]

[/media]

Yeah it's by Fox News because ABC, NBC and CBS would never release such truth to the public.

If you forget they got there jobs back because of Union Arbitration.

"If you forget they got there jobs back because of Union Arbitration" See above..

Exactly the point LU518.... you gotta be joking. Why should they have gotten their jobs back? Shouldnt a company have the right to fire employees that engage in this behavior. You just proved my point that Unions discourage business and get in the way of a company doing whats best for the overall success of the company. If I was running this company these guys would be fired in a new york minute and I'd be pissed if a union stepped in the way to get them their jobs back. Your rambling and jibberish stated above and overall thinking is completely backwards... you'll learn someday.

• Like 2