Sign in to follow this  

So the late archery hunt is coming up here in Arizona and I need some tips on how to fill a tag. Ive seen them do it on TV, but Ive always been curious if it works in the West or not. Does anyone have any experience with rattling coues or even calling with grunts for that matter?And even though this is in the whitetail section, what about mulies?

I read an article not long ago... maybe I think it was 1 of the sponsors on here... they do like spot n call.

said they glass em up and put the stalk on and then get within a 100 yds or so and hit the horns... sometimes they hit the grunt tube and 50% of the time they get a buck coming in.

I am going to give it a try this year...

I had 3 does come in with a fork horn in tow once when I used a grunt tube (muleys) they came from over 200yds on a string.

I blew my chance... I never thought they would come and my bow was still in the sling...

James

I have grunted and rattled coues deer in. Mostly the little guys. The larger deer are more wary. This has been in January.

The coues wt is just like any other wt deer across the country and responses simular to stimuli. I always take my horns and grunt call along as one just might find the very buck to respond. When I hunt wts in colorado, Kansas and Nebraska, rattling , grunting and even decoying works really well pre rut, usually the last week of Oct and the first week of Nov, when the bucks are starting to roam and not chasing yet. I would expect the same would hold true for the coues bucks and late Dec and early Jan would be the very best time to grunt and rattle.. I will be in southern AZ on Jan 12 for two weeks and will have my horns and call with me.

Grunting and rattling will work better where there is a lot of cover vs more open area where the buck can see farther and hang up because they can not see another deer.

I have rattled in a couple. I've also made the mistake of not being ready or giving it enough time. So if you do try it remember they may come at a full fun and suddenly be right on top of you.