Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

What is the best all around binocular magnification?

I'm wanting to buy a new pair of binoculars soon. I wanted to know if there is a certain magnification for best all around use. Not looking for something to be mounted on tri-pod. Any info/tips on what you think the best magnification is, will be greatly appreciated!

I like 10x for our wide open spaces in AZ but some prefer 8x for a wider field of view. I would take a high quality 8x over a low quality 10x though.

What would be better 10x42, 10x50?

Any decent pair of bino's I could get for under $150?

10x42 nikon monarc is what I would highly recommend for glasses on a budget ;)

Nikon or Vortex are manufactures that make higher quality at a lower price. Zen-Ray is another that produces good binoculars.

Unfortunately like most things in life, buy nice or buy twice.... you get what is paid for.... not saying any thing bad about less expensive binoculars, often the more glassing one does the more they realize inexpensive binoculars don't meet their needs and end buying a new pair.

even look at Hawke binos. i have nikons and like vortex better. 10x42 is all you need for now until you get 15x's for long range glassing.

You are going to find the biggest selection in 10x42. Now is a great time to get a good deal on some binos if you shop around at Bass, Cabelas and Sportsmans. Bass and Cabelas will match each others sale price too. I just picked up a pair of Nikon Monarch 12x42's for a great deal at Bass when Cabelas had them on sale.

i like 10x42 for all around

Guest akaspecials

Nikon Monarchs or Vortex Diamond Back 10x42 sound like the best binoculars for you from what you've written. Try as many binoculars as you can though. Just be careful trying the really expensive ones cause then you'll end up wanting to spend more! :)

I've had the nikon monarch 10x42's for a while and love them...but last year i "moved up" to Vortex Viper 15's. The 15's are life-changing when it comes to counting points, etc. (at longer distances), but a tripod is certainly required for my taste. I cannot comfortably spend very much time behind them off-hand...can't hold them still enough.

In short, the 10's are my all-purpose binos providing plenty of power and are extermely comfortable on the move - they also do very well on a tripod. The 15's are awesome, but I have to setup on a tripod to reap their benefits. A more "top of the line" brand may help resolve this, I'm not sure, but unfortunately I don't get out enough to justify the extra $$.

Good luck and I would also advise you to visit one of the large sporting good stores to see which brands "fit" your face, if you have the chance. Apparently, my eye spacing may be closer than some and I had trouble getting a few of the major brands to close tight enough together...You will also get a side-by-side comparison of quality. Once you decide on brand, then you can likely find a smoking deal online.

Good comments and I agree. If I were going to have only one pair it would probably be 10x42. Maybe 10x50 if not much heavier than 42. I have the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 as my carry binos (on a budget...would like to have bought better glass but good for now) and the Viper 15x50 on the tripod. Got those non-HD at a great price right before they discontinued them...sort of wish I'd bought some 10x42 also. :D

Also a good idea to try out several brands. The Vortex seem to fit my eyes very well and I really like them. Others have used mine and didn't really like them.

Hey thanks to everyone for all the help and pointers. I'm going to save up a little more than the $150 budget and buy better quality bino's.

One more question...When I go in and try out binoculars in store, what do I look for. To tell you the truth when I'm looking through them in store they all look the same to me (other than magnification). I always just look around and look at the farthest part of the store. Would it be good to go with a adjustable zoom pair of bino's or just stick with some fixed 10x42?

Its going to be difficult to find a decent pair of adjustable powered binoculars... I would definitely go fixed.

You need to spend some time behind them and pay attention to the collimation to make sure they don't make you go cross eyed. The problem I had with lower priced binoculars is the eye fatigue; there is nothing worse than getting a headache and having eye strain while you are glassing. It will impact your effectiveness at being able to glass effectively. It would be best to find a store that will allow you to take them outside with an employee and glass at dusk.... you'll find out a lot by doing that.

As mentioned above.... I would go in there with a dollar limit and don't spend time glassing with the higher dollar binoculars because you will want them. Stay to your budget. If you want to spend the money, go swarovski and they will be the last pair you buy for many many years.

my advice, save as long as it takes to get good quality glass. it doesn't have to be Swaro, etc. Otherwise you will spend twice the money getting up there. I have several lower quality bino's I have given away as I moved up, had I just saved a little longer up front it would have been cheaper in the end. Get into the grades that have a lifetime warranty.

I like Vortex, I have them as my backups if something happens to my Swaro's or loan them out to people when they don't have decent glass.

My suggestion is 8's around your neck and 15's and a tripod in the pack.