Sign in to follow this  
rschaumb

First Archery Deer

I appologize in advance for the long story...

I started the year out with a great bang, or shall I say a fling of an arrow. I got my first bow toward the end of last year. January 1st started with a javelina on the ground at 8 in the morning. Man was I excited. First archery kill on the first day out with my bow.

The fall archery deer hunt was very exciting. Seeing deer everyday. Drawing back several times but never feeling comfortable with the shot or distance to let an arrow fly. That hunt ended with mixed emotions as I was so close yet I had seen so many great bucks and even followed a nice 4x4 and an even bigger framed 3x3 on the last day until dark.

I wasn't expecting much for the December archery season until my brother was within archery range of 2 different whitetail bucks while scouting for and hunting during the rifle hunt. Then two weeks before the December hunt opened I was within archery range of two nice bucks. I though, This could happen.

Friday comes and I can't wait to get out there. The temps were dropping, new moon, and I had high hopes. My brother and I get out there and it is cold, raining, hailing, foggy, and windy. All morning we only jumped one small spike.

They next day came with a wedding to go to in the afternoon and I was waiting for Sunday to roll around, forcasted with mostly sunny skies, which would be a relief from the previous day. But that afternoon it was only drizzling out so I decided to run out to a closer spot where I would find some mule deer.

Just before arriving to my parking area my truck got stuck in the mud. I called my brother and told him to get me out before dark, I would be out hunting. Not even 5 minutes into walking to the area I wanted to glass I jumped a buck. He ran off and stopped over a hundred yards away and just stared for a little bit before running off again. I followed him around the hill where I jumped 5 does and a fawn, which all ran off across the flats.

Just then it started raining. So I got up high to try to glass for that buck, hoping he had bedded down. I finally found a deer bedded across the valley but couldn't tell if it was a buck or not. I decided it was my best shot so I planned my stalk in the hour of light left.

As I got close I ranged the closest tree line I could sneak to and also the tree the deer was bedded down under: 50 yrds. I had been practicing out further than that so I was preparing myself for that being the case. I got to the tree line and saw that it was indeed a buck! Only then he started staring at me. It was getting darker by the minute so I figured it was now or never. I got down low and inched my way to the edge of the tree. I ranged him once more before coming to full draw and standing up over the jumping cactus that stood between me and him. I took my aim, made sure of my grip, and let the arrow go. I knew I release a little high and time stood still after the release. But as soon as I released, seeing as he had been watching me, he jumped up to take off running. He ran twenty yards and started walking, looking around. I didn't know if I hit him or if he just got scared from the sound of the bow...until he started catching his balance and fell over right there! I couldn't believe it. My first buck at the end of my first year with a bow. I couldn't have been happier and thanked God for a perfect shot despite my poor release. Thanks for reading. (no picture in the desert due to it being dark and only had my bad phone with me.

post-6185-0-13222000-1355932866_thumb.jpg

great job on getting the first one in the first year it took me 5 years to get my first with a bow

Great job getting it done with a bow spot and stalk. I got my first in January of 2011 and I have been hooked! Going after these rutting mulies with a bow is probably the most fun I've ever had. I can't wait to get back out there on Friday. Great job once again. There's some good eating!

great job!

congratulations on you first deer with your bow!

wow! 1st year of getting your bow! that is awesome!!!

James

Great job! Getting done with stick and string is tough no matter how long you've been archery hunting!

Super!! CONGRATULATIONS!! Super job with a bow!! Thanks for sharing your story!