Sign in to follow this  
8OWHUNT247

High Desert Mule Deer.. BBD!

Congratulations on a dang nice buck! Any story? Stalk, shot distance, broadhead?

• Like 1

Okay, okay, okay…… Here’s the story, although it is not as glorious as some that I have read here…

I will start it on Thursday, knowing that archery opened on Friday, I scrambled to get everything done with work and did so, looks like I’m out of here…. Friday morning I find myself in a part of the state I have never hunted before, sitting a nice little hill I hiked up @ first light, glassing, glassing, and as you know…….more glassing. I had a lot of area to look at and was really feeling like this was the spot that was going to produce, one problem, no deer… After a couple of hours I managed to locate about 5 does across the ridge.. Being the time of year it is, I start getting excited wondering what little nook the buck will step out of BUT he never showed himself…. High winds and patchy rain made it tough to sit the whole day so I packed up and headed out…. Looks like I’ll have to come back another time….

With the fresh snow in the higher elevations and the thought of that perfect spot, I decided that the next day would be a GREAT time to go… J Sorry babe, got to go….

I was not really planning on hiking all over God’s WHITE Earth (blue jeans)… All I wanted to do was setup on the ridge where those does were the day before, the buck has to be around there somewhere.. As I walk to my destination, I cut some fresh tracks. They can’t be that old and it is ugly out, they can’t be THAT far away. As I drag my feet through the snow trying not to make much of a “crunch”(thanks Dad) I realize there is a new track with the group and it is a large buck track! Creep, Creep, Creep… Right when I start to question how far I am going to take this (again, wearing blue jeans because I am dumb) a big doe stands up and steps out in front of me.. With her staring at me (30 yards), I start looking around her to see where the rest are. At that point another doe stood up, stepped to right behind the other one. “Oh, they’re all bedded in this thicket”….. Another doe stands up and steps out, and another! Right as I am thinking this is cool but isn’t going to last long, another deer stands up, and steps out only this one brought the bush out with him!!! I can’t hardly believe what I am looking at but instinct kicks in and I bring the Z7 to full draw.. The wind is perfect and they don’t quite know what I am but they’re nervous… I need him to take another step to get from behind his girls… I have to do something because they are about to bounce, so I give my best buck grunt (nice and quiet) and that’s all it took… He gave me 2 more steps, I placed my 30 on his vitals and sent my full metal jacket flying!! RAGE in the CAGE!! Although the shot was a little back, with the snow, I knew this buck was mine!

I decided to back out and go drink some coffee for an hour or so.. After making some calls my brother-in-law showed up in 45 minutes, don’t ask me how… While I was warming up, looking at google earth, I realized there was a road that travels about a mile below the place I shot this guy and he was running down hill in that direction! All excited I got back out there and picked up the trail.. After a LONG trail (hate to say it but its true) I find this guy bunched up in a thicket!! I was beside myself!!! I have never taken anything like it!! Here is the icing on the cake, at this point we could see the road below and it was little over a quarter mile, down hill.. I got him cleaned up and the drag was so easy on the snow I almost sat on top of him and slid down the hill!! Back at home by noon!!

Hope you enjoyed….

Thanks!

Congratulations on the very nice archery buck!! Thanks for sharing your story!!