*ATTN* The site owner would like to remind you that if you want to see your Coues photos in the photo gallery on the main CouesWhitetail site (not just the forum), please e-mail them to her so that they can be added to the main sites photogallery. amanda@coueswhitetail.com You can still post them into the forums after they are e-mailed. Thanks.

Uploading Photos

So you have some photos you would like to post to a website to show everyone, but you aren?t sure how to do it. On CouesWhitetail.com there are two ways you can do this. You can use the forums ?attach file? feature or you can use an off site host for your photos, then provide a link to the website of your choice.

The first way we will discuss is how to use the website as the host, it uses the ?attach file? feature of the CWT.com site. To access this feature, you will need to first push the ?reply? button. This will take you to a new window where you can type up your reply to a topic of your choice as seen below. Once you have typed up your reply, you will need to scroll down a bit to the ?attach file? feature below.

To use this feature you will first click the ?browse? button and find the file on your computer. Once you have found the photo you wish to upload, double click it. Or click it once, and also click the ?open? button.

Now click the ?add this attachment? button to send the photo to the site. *NOTE* the photo, or file you attempting to upload must be less than 100K in size, or the site will not accept it. If it is too large, you may want to open a photo editing site and resize it to the correct size for this site.

If the photo is within the correct size, the site will recognize the photo like below?.

CWTuploadfile-1.jpg

Click the ?add into post? button, and the website will automatically load it into your post. Your post (the reply to typed up for the thread) will receive something like this ?[attachmentid=xxxx]? with the letter x being replaced by the correct number code the site gave your photo.

At this time it is a good idea to ?preview post? before you submit it to the forum for all to see. This button can be found next to the ?add reply? button. This button will show only you what your post will look like once it is added to the CWT.com forums. This will help you to make changes you see fit before submitting.

For this tutorial I chose to upload a photo of my truck that I use as a signature for another website. This is what the 'preview post' would look like, and what the post would look like if I were to post it to the forums.

CWTpreviewpost-1.jpg

Now, go back down to where we selected the 'preview post' button, and this time select the 'add reply' button to post your photo and post to the public forums.

Using an off site photo host

Now we will discuss what some think is the easiest way to post photos on the web. They think this because the website will usually resize the photo to the size that is required for the upload. It is then also possible to post the photo to many different sites at once, as opposed to only this site. Also, later on, it is possible to resize the photo without changing the links. I personally think that this is the best way to post photos.

To post photos this way you will first need to setup an account to an off site photo hosting website. I use photobucket.com, but there are many free hosts out there. Try a google search for ?free photo hosts.? But for this tutorial we will be using photobucket.com, it should be close to the same for the other sites also.

When you first get to the photobucket.com homepage, you will need to register as a user. This is free, and will get you the basic account. Even though it is a basic account it gives you plenty of space to upload hundreds of photos.

Now that you are registered, log into your account. Once you are logged in, you will see a screen that will soon display all of your photos. You are going to only be using this part of it only. It is located towards the top of the page.

pbupload-2.jpg

This is where photobucke.com shines. You hold the option up uploading up to 19 photos at one time. To do this select the drop down menu just above the ?browse? button. Select the number of photos you wish to upload, and it will give you that many ?browse? options. Each photo will now have it?s own browse window.

Again, you are going to click ?browse? and find it on your computer. These are close to the same steps as uploading to the CWT.com website. Once you find your photo, double click it, or click it once, then click the open button. The website will recognize the file and show it?s location on your computer.

At this step, you can add a name to the photo for use on photobucket.com website. This is not a necessary step.If you do not give it a website name, then it will use the name that it had on your computer. Once you have made that choice you can click the submit button.

pbupload2.jpg

The website will now take a moment as it loads your photo. This shouldn't take long, but may take a few minutes if you are uploading many photos at once.

Once the site loads your photo, it will display the photo as a 'thumbnail photo' or a photo that is much smaller than the actual size used to cut down on file size allowing faster downloads while still allowing the user to see the photo.

This is what the photo will look like on the photobucket site. As you add more photos, more thumbnails will appear, and more pages will be added also.

pbthumbnail.jpg

If you want to see the photo, click the small picture and it will show you the same photo, but in it?s actual size as it will be displayed on websites. Click your back button to get back to your thumbnail photo page. Below your thumbnail photos, you will notice some text, that doesn?t make much sense. These are all internet codes used as the address for your photo. The choices you have are ?Url? ?Tag? and ?Img.? The URL would be used as a link if a site does not allow actually posting photos, but allows links to photos. The TAG is a code, that is used on script sites like myspace where a complex code is needed. The one you will want to use most of the time for websites like CWT.com is the IMG one. This one takes the URL code and inserts the image code (which is [ IMG] *your URL*[/img ]). To post it to CWT.com, copy the code in the IMG section, right click, and copy it. [/b]

pbselection.jpg

Now, open the website of your choice, maybe in another window.

Find the thread on the website you wish to post a photo in, and click the ?reply? button. It will take you to the reply screen. Type your message, and then right click, and paste the IMG code directly into your message. *NOTE* There is no need to use the website?s upload feature when using an off site host. The host is no longer the site you are posting the picture on, it is now what ever site you used.

Now when you submit your post, your photo will appear with the text you typed!

Posting Photos From Another Site

Another way to post a photo is to copy its URL (internet address for that photo) and to use the image code to make it show up. You may want to do this is you find a neat photo on another site and want to show a different site. *Note this should only be used for private messages or messages that will only be displayed for a short time. This is just a courtesy to the owner of the photo because the more it is posted and viewed the more bandwidth that is used. Bandwidth cost money, and some sites will change the photos to different URL to keep people from linking to them. Just keep that in mind. If you wish to post it to a different site, save it to your computer then upload it on your host. Anyways, let?s get started?.

The first thing you want to do is find a photo that you wish to use as a reference.

Put your cursor on that photo and right click. A small popup option menu will appear beside your cursor, find ?Properties? it should be near the bottom and left click it.

A new window will appear showing the information for the photo. You will need to left click and hold, while you drag over the text to highlight it, once it?s highlighted, you can release the left click. Now put your cursor over the highlighted text and right click to copy.

Now, back at CWT.com, open a reply to the thread.

Now, there are a couple ways we can do this. First you can paste the URL as it is. This would leave them as a link, and would require a click to see the photo.

The second way would be to click the forums image button seen below.

photo.jpg

This will open a popup window in which you can paste the URL into. This will insert the p><p>[b]So now you have a photo on the CWT.com forums, but man?. That thing is HUGE! You will need to resize it so that it fits on user or, if that does not work, trying doing a Google search for 'PIXresizer' it is a free program and is very simple to use.

Once that is downloaded, open the file, and save the program to your computer. Once it is on your computer, open it.

Click the 'Load Picture' button at the top of the screen. This will open a new popup allowing you to find the photo you wish to resize. Once again, double click the photo you wish to work with, or click it once, and then click 'open.'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Azhunter/other/resize.jpg' alt='resize.jpg'>

The program will open the photo, and display it to the right on the program. The next step is circled in red. To resize the photo, simply select how much you wish to resize it in percents of the original. You can select any of the options to make the photo smaller. If a certain website requires that a photo be a certain size, you can select ?custom size? and set the limits to a custom size. .

resize2.jpg

Now, you also can select the format in which you wish to save your picture as. To do this, simply mark which one you want, JPEG usually seem to work the best for me.

After you have done that, go to step four and hit the 'save picture' button. Again, a window will open and you can rename the photo, to save. The program automatically uses the same name, but after the name used, it will also give the new size so you can tell the two photos apart. You can now go to your off site host, or forum host to upload your photo.

Making an Avatar

If you are making an avatar (the small photo next to your username) follow the above steps for resizing the photo, except for the size setting, choose the "custom setting" and make the limits 64x64. When you save it, you will need to save it as one of the following gif, jpeg, jpg, swf, or png.

Then click the "My Controls" button at the top of all pages on the forums on the right.

Now click the "Edit Avatar Settings." This will take you to the page that will allow you to load your avatar to the website. You can either upload it directly from your computer, or from an off site host. After doing that, click the "upload avatar" button to send your new avatar to all of your posts you have made.

*COMING SOON, ZOOMING IN ON PHOTOS AND LIGHTENING PHOTOS*

Thanks KGAINES. I would still like our member to help out a bit, and respond if they would like some changes made. I also think it would be helpful for members to post what free host they use to host their photos. It might help out people looking for a site if there were links here for them to use.

BASS, you da man ;)

Now boys and girls get them pics posted for our viewing pleasure :)

Looks like it worked! That is a good looking bear, are planning on going after it?

Thanks BASS! Awesome job. I read something on here a while back from Amanda saying that if it was a photo of a coues she wanted them e-mailed to her so she could place it in the photo gallery. This would cut down on double posting photos on the server and somehow save her some money. All other pics. could be posted as you described. AM I UNDERSTANDING THIS CORRECTLY?

Thanks for posting that info BASS. I too struggled for a long time trying to post pictures using another website as a host but since being taught by other forum members it is so easy. I can upload a picture from my camera put it on photobucket and post it to this website in just a few minutes. Also, photobucket will resize your pictures when you upload them to their site so you don't even have to worry about resizing, plus like others have said, using another site as a host doesn't take up CWT space. If you have multiple pictures you can fit them all in one post too.

Thanks BASS! Awesome job. I read something on here a while back from Amanda saying that if it was a photo of a coues she wanted them e-mailed to her so she could place it in the photo gallery. This would cut down on double posting photos on the server and somehow save her some money. All other pics. could be posted as you described. AM I UNDERSTANDING THIS CORRECTLY?

You are 100% correct! I should add that to the very begining to let people know that. Amanda did ask that all coues photos be emailed to her then the link posted to the photo. Thanks for the heads up. I'm also going to go into detail about how to post a photo from another site using the code.

You are 100% correct! I should add that to the very begining to let people know that. Amanda did ask that all coues photos be emailed to her then the link posted to the photo. Thanks for the heads up. I'm also going to go into detail about how to post a photo from another site using the code.

Way to GET 'R' DONE BASS! Thanks!

Thanks Bass, great job providing directions!!

And yes, it would be nice to get the Coues photos to me first before posting here, but in reality that idea hasn't worked. I am away from home alot and usually people are wanting to post their pics ASAP. So I have backed off that requirement for Coues photos. If you can send them to me first, that's great, if you just can't wait, you can post them here and perhaps also email me the pic so I can post it on the main site. My webhosting company has increased our storage size quite a bit, so it's not as big a concern as it used to be.

Amanda

I have another question for our members. I did this write up on my laptop, and when I view it on the laptop it looks fine. Although when I view it on the desktop scrolling left to right is needed as the photos are too big. Is this the same for you guys and gals? If so I will resize those pics. :D