Sign in to follow this  
Weston

My 2012 Archery Buck

Well, I managed to get it done again this year with the Hoyt! Last year I was fortunate enough to put the smackdown on an absolute monster with my bow and I was able to connect again this year, although with a buck that was quite a bit smaller.

I had hunted january and august with my bow this year along with being lucky enough to draw another BP. So I knew once december came I had to put in the effort and get a buck killed. I had planned a 5 day backpacking trip beginning december 18th and as it sometimes happens I couldnt find any of my hunting buddies to commit with me. I was not going to let this ruin my plans and decided I would go on the trip whether or not I could find somebody to come with me.

Solo backpacking is quite a bit more intensive than backpacking with a group as all of the required gear (tents, water filters, first aid, GPS, stove etc) must all be carried. I ended up leaving my house at 3AM with a pack that weighed 73 lbs with enough gear food/water to be comfortable for three days if I did not find a water source and 5 if I did. I pulled into the foothills of the mountains that I wanted to be in at about 5:10 AM and set out for the mountains.

At about 2:45 PM I found a suitable spot to set up my spike camp and set up camp, and was back looking through the glass at 3:30.

I had already seen 4 small bucks and one shooter as well as a herd of pigs, a coyote and a couple dozen does by the time I begun glassing, I saw a good number of deer coming in and out of a box canyon previously and was not only about 600 yards from the canyon so I decided to drop all my gear except my empty pack with water and raingear and see what I could find.

As I made my way up the canyon I finally found the only water I had seen so far (after about 8 miles of hiking) right where I had been watching deer go into the canyon, so I decided to build a small blind and sit the water before I walked up to it and got scent all over it. Not 15 minutes after I started sitting my makeshift ocatillo blind I had a doe and a spike come in, but not to where I expected, I had set up 45 yards off the visible water and they were clearly drinking but at a puddle I hadnt seen at 76 yards, I decided to wait and see if anything else came in, about 30 minutes later I had a good buck come into the same water (76 yds).

I had already ranged the deer that had previously come in so I wasnt worried about the distance although this water was significantly higher in the canyon and the deer could see right into my "blind" and I was much more exposed than I would have liked to have been. Regardless I knew that it was a buck I wanted to take with his good frame and long seconds so I drew back, he saw me draw and pinned me, I held my bow for what seemed like 5 minutes although I'm sure it wasnt more than 30 or 40 seconds before the buck put his head back to the water. I squeezed the trigger and watched my Axis Arrow sink into the buck.

I hit him back, way back and felt a slurry of mixed emotions pass over me, I have seen more than a few animals take arrows far back and never be recovered, my arrow blew right through him and I heard it hit the rock shelf behind him so I knew that I did not need to worry about finding the arrow, although I decided it was best to back out for the night and look for him in the morning so I wouldnt bump him.

As it goes anytime I have something like that on my mind when I got back to camp I had about an hour before dark and I couldn't sit alone any longer replaying my poorly placed shot over and over again in my head.

I decided instead of blood trailing him I would hike up a ridge that overlooked the canyon and glass and hope to find him bedded under a tree, so I headed out with my 10's and my scope on the tripod. As luck would have it I managed to glass him up dead under a tree not 50 yards up the canyon from where I shot him needless to say I was ecstatic!

I made my way down to the buck and took a few (terrible) pictures. got him back to camp about an hour after dark quartered and caped and spent the next hour deboning him for the hike out. I fell asleep early and woke up at 3AM the next morning and couldnt get back to sleep in the ripping wind so I decided to pack up camp and start the trek out.

My pack now weighed over 100 pounds with 4 days worth of gear left and a boned out deer, and I had a grueling hike ahead of me but I knew having another P&Y buck on my wall would be well worth it!

It took me until about 11:45 the next morning to make it back to my truck without taking my pack off, and was undoubtedly the most physically/mentally draining hunt I had ever been on, between the solitude the heavy pack, and technical terrain. This buck is not a monster by any means, and is not one of the biggest bucks I've taken, but I'm still incredibly proud of him and had a hunting experience unlike one that I typically have.

I apologize for the terrible trophy pictures, I figured my iPhone would have a self timer, it didn't.

68609_10151315749245513_304537620_n_zps4aec8645.jpg

230288_10151601171757796_1019219890_n_zpse2d11af4.jpg

62457_10151315754055513_411060840_n_zpsd3ee6031.jpg

• Like 1

Holy Moley that buck is nice! And with a bow,,,,,,,,, I thought I did really good with my rifle, that thing is sick. Great Job.

Dude you rock!!

What a story. Congratulations on getting it done in true fashion. Merry Christmas.

Thanks for taking us along on your hunt. Congrats on a nice buck.

TJ

Great story! Congrats your hard earned buck! The harder you work for them, the more memorable!