Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

Got my first lion! 130lbs 7'0"

I have a friend who has some pretty good dogs. I go with him nearly every snow and this particular day he had to work and he let me take the dogs out and look what happened! Nice having friends with some good hounds. Headed out again tomorrow to try for some bobcats. I'm not sure if that is a real pic or photoshop. Just took it off the internet to give an idea of what I might want. I'll be sure to post some pics of it when it's done in about a year or so!

what's about "lion killer"?

Congrats on taking out a deer killer!

It's so sad to see such amazing animal killed for fun.

Hippies are among us.........

• Like 1

No, I'm not a hippie. There is not only two options - hunters and hippies. And yes - It's a random that I'm here but when I saw some of pictures i decided to find answer for question what is so incredible with hunting and killing? Why is more attractive to take a photo with killed lion than admire living animal?

In my country most of animals like lynx, wolf, bear, bison are under protection and I never knew someone who enjoy hunting. Moreover there is online transimtion with opportunity to watch bisons, wolfs and others in backwoods feeder. And many people really enjoy to follow this online channel.

I don't want to instigate. It's really curious for me.

Lions are killed to protect other species. Lions are predators, they kill prey, usually that prey is the animals most of us hunt or a ranchers live stock, which is their livelihood. Yes they are killed for sport, happen of circumstance, fun, and for money (sale of the pelt) but I promise you, the numbers of lion population is not greatly affected by hunters. It is a good thing to kill lions in my opinion, I've eaten several, they don't go to waste.

• Like 1

That is exciting to harvest your first lion! I took both of my lions with a 30-.06, and there was no damage done that the taxidermist couldn't fix with a needle and thread! Excellent meat too!

• Like 1

That's the thing that lots of people don't get - hunters *do* admire and love animals while they are alive.

We have to. Otherwise, we'd never find them to hunt them. Hunting and killing animals is not the same as exterminating all of them, or thinking that all of a certain species have no right to live.

An objection that I have heard to hunting predators is that "Mother Nature" will control the numbers - when there are fewer prey animals, there will be fewer predators, so why do you have to kill them? The thing is, that's true. But Mother Nature's predator control method is starvation: the predators eat all the prey animals, and then starve to death.

This is actually a healthier control method - hunters keep the lion numbers down to a healthy level, the lions keep the deer herds clean of diseased/weak animals, hunters get to hunt deer and lions, and lions that are pursued but not killed (most of those that interact with a hunter and his hounds) are reminded to stay away from people, which leads to keeping lions and non-hunting people (hikers, campers, runners, livestock producers) safer from each other.

There is no negative to taking a few lions out every year. I buy a lion tag every year, but all I usually see is tracks and scat. I'm going to get more serious about it this year, and we'll see what happens.

Congrats to the OP. That is a cool hunt.