Sign in to follow this  
daryl_s

2 Dec Tags filled

My dad and I had been putting in for the draw on separate applications for the last few years thinking that it increased the odds of one of us to draw a late tag. This year we decided to put in together and we were lucky enough to draw the late 36C hunt. We have a spot that we have been going to over the last 4 years that has constantly produced for us and there were a few really good bucks in there. On opening morning I sat in the cold wind and rain for 5 hours trying to glass up some bucks. I only managed 2 does and 2 fawns. With a similar forecast for Saturday and my dad not being able to make it out on the opening weekend I decided to head home until the following weekend.

My dad headed down the following Friday and hunted solo that day. I talked to him Friday night and got some very discouraging news, another group of hunters was hammering the spot we planned on hunting. This really had me discouraged and made me do a lot of serious thinking the whole night before I headed down there. Part of the reason that I was so discouraged was because I knew there was a 110+ buck in this spot and there was another 100+ buck that had been running with him. I drew the late hunt for the first time 4 years ago and I put a lot of pressure on myself. I felt like since I drew a premium tag I would fail if I didn't kill a buck that eclipsed the 100" barrier. It turns out that my tag went unfilled that year and I didn't even enjoy the hunt. I put undue expectations on myself. I had already promised myself that the goal on this hunt was to enjoy it. I went to bed with the determination that we would just have to fill our tag in another spot and I was going to enjoy the time hunting with my dad.

Early Saturday morning I arrived at our camping spot and my dad and I set out early with a good game plan. We glassed a LOT of does and fawns. About 11 am we spotted a nice buck, but he had picked up our scent and was on the move. He didn't waste anytime going down the mountain and all the way across a flat to another mountain. I never saw him after that. A few hours later I just barely managed to glass up what looked like a decent buck just before he fed out of sight around the side of another mountain. We went all the way around the other side of the mountain and managed to glass him up feeding up near the top of the mountain. I tried to get in for a shot, but the location he was in made it hard to get close without being seen or heard. It's funny how they know where they can do that to you. I was running out of light and I didn't want to spook him out of the area. As it is, I did spook him a little, but he just moved very slowly out of the area as I was backing out.

The next morning I thought he would be on the other side of the mountain since it was the slope that the sun would be hitting. About 30 minutes into glassing I see 3 bucks on the far end of the mountain feeding their way down. The biggest buck looked like he was big enough for my tag. My dad stayed back and I moved in for the shot. I got set up at 320 yards with all 3 bucks frozen. Luckily the biggest buck had the front half of his body exposed. The first shot from the .25 Van Horn hit him just a tad back and low. Since I was shooting uphill the exit was higher on the other side. I just missed the lungs. He bedded and I went around the ridge and came up from the other side above him. He jumped out about 40 yards from me and took off. He was running straight away from me and there were some ocotillos keeping me from a clear shot. I was worried thinking that all he was giving me was a Texas heart shot. I knew I had to take a shot since he was hit and was on the move. Right after he cleared the last ocotillo, and right before he bounded out of sight I fired and didn't see what happened or where he went. I headed down to where I last saw him and found him laying there. The second shot hit him in the spine right below the neck and put him down for good. He's not going to be in any record books, but I am thrilled with this buck and I thoroughly enjoyed this hunt. I have been fortunate to fill my tag each of the last three years and my dad has been there for each one. That means a lot to me.

The next day we hunted until 10 AM before it was time to head home for Christmas festivities with the family.

I had to go back to work on Wednesday but my dad went back out and hunted hard until Saturday when he filled his tag with a good sized forky with good mass. Overall this was a pretty tough hunt. We saw great numbers of deer but not very many bucks. The fawn crop must have been outstanding because we saw a lot of fawns and it seemed like almost every doe had twin fawns with her. We saw zero rutting activity on this hunt.

My dad with my buck

035-1.jpg

Me with my buck

039.jpg

045.jpg

My dad's buck

014.jpg

Closeup. As you can see, the 115 grain Nosler Partitions performed well.

017.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Daryl

Very nice story and congrats! I had the late hunt also and ended taking a buck smaller than my goal...but the time with your dad is priceless. That's a great area and you'll get your big guy one day. In the mean time that's a solid buck

Great story, way to stick with it. We tend to put difficult expectations on ourselves when we have to wait a few years for a good tag. Enjoy the hunt for the experience that it is. I tend to look for something special the early part of the hunt and my expectations get lowered the later into the hunt I get. Success is great but a little tag soup every once in while never hurt anyone. Those are some nice deer, congrats to you and your dad!!

Couple of nice bucks, congrats and way to stick with it!

Great story! Hanging out with the old man doing what you really like cannot be beat, big buck or otherwise! Congrats to the both of you!

Super story and congratulations on a couple nice bucks. Way to stick with it and enjoy the hunt with your dad. Score does not always reflect the success of the hunt.

Thanks for the all of the kind words.

Casey, the .25 Van Horn is a .264 win mag necked down to .257. It is a custom build that my dad had done by David Van Horn. After loading the .257 in the .264 win mag brass the case is fire formed giving you more case capacity. My dad has spent a lot of time finding the perfect hand load and it's a pretty good long range gun. He started out with the Bergers and they were great on paper, not on deer. He switched to the Nosler Partitions this past year and they've done a good job.

Congratulations! Had to be great to hunt with your dad. Great memories!