Sign in to follow this  
cardawg

Fixed blade Knife

Lost my old Buck 119 in the field,worked well for over twenty years,in the market for a new knife,thought before I bought another Buck I would throw this out there and see if there was something better with all the new tech advances,looking for a fixed blade with a 4-6 blade,thanks for any input

Cabela's Alaskan Guide® Series Vanguard Rubber-Handled Knife by Buck Knives® I used that fixed blade along with my Havalon on my elk this year and it was a great combo. The rubber handle didnt slip out of my hand while getting bloody.

I got tired of sharpening and sharpening the ok quality steel on the Bucks, Gerbers etc that I had so I went to another hunting site I frequent, dropped a decent amount (~250) on a custom knife made by Charles May. I used to carry two or three knives in my pack and a bone saw. I now only carry the Charles May and my Piranta.

I would, with out a doubt buy another Charles May or Gene Ingram.

I have the 3inch knife of Alaska and I love it! I didn't have to sharpen it for a long time and even now just a couple of passes with the gerber and she's ready to rock. Only knife I carry with bone Saw

Thanks for all the input on a new knife,couldn't afford to go with a custom knife,just not in the budget right now,wound up getting the Knifes of Alaska Bush Camp knife,sharp as a razor,time will tell how it holds up in the long run.I tried it out on a few differant things and so far I'm impressed with it.Thanks again

Buck and Gerber knives are hard to beat. However, they work best when they are new because most of us can't sharpen them.

I'm not trying to outdo Oneshot, honest, but I used an old Buck folder to skin a dozen Texas Hill Country deer that I and my friends shot last November. Before sharpening it with a funny-looking tool I bought just before the hunt, I couldn't have skinned just one deer without trying to re-sharpen it.

The thing looks a lot like a Pocket Fisherman flattened by a Mack truck. You rest a knife with its blade pointing up on a table and firmly run the sharpener over the blade four or five times to reshape and sharpen it. There is another set of stones in the tool that create the final edge. Only a couple of passes are needed.

Wish I knew the sharpener's brand name, but my son-in-law hasn't returned it yet.

Bill Quimby