Sign in to follow this  
cramerhunts

December 2012 AZ Coues Hunt.

I'm going to try and keep the words short and let the pictures tell the story. My cousin John and I drew late tags for a unit we both know really well. The work and anticipation started back in August when we got our trail cams out and continued on through all of the early hunts right up to the end of the year.

HighRack2_zpsb0d60538.jpgIMAG0033_zpsa8ac6026.jpg

IMAG0100_zps74e1759f.jpg

2x3_zpsf45cba59.jpg

IMAG0114_zps186d8051.jpg

PICT00072_zps76ade85b.jpg

PICT00073_zpsaa585a91.jpg

IMAG2002_zps4a36076b.jpg

PICT00712_zpsb3dc08fd.jpg

Camp was set and would be home off and on from October through December as we had friends and family with early season tags as well.

IMGP0226_zpsfc8dd20e.jpg

IMGP0228_zpseb6fbfa3.jpg

Before we knew it our hunt was upon us as well as the crummy weather.

IMG_1184_zps0fdcdcd2.jpg

Along with a blown tire.

IMG_1178_zps0689f23a.jpg

We still found some deer though.

IMG_1182_zps8dd25e1b.jpg

IMGP0150_zps58a4c989.jpg

IMGP0157_zps577e79e4.jpg

John and I had to go back to work for a couple of days but our dads kept looking for bucks that would be worthy of our tags. As it turns out both found shooter bucks in opposite ends of the unit so a plan was made to hunt each for a few days before Christmas.

IMGP0159_zpsb29bf01d.jpg We were able to locate one of the bucks that John's dad had found and decided that John would put a stalk on him....game on!

IMGP0162_zps6fd1e08a.jpgAfter a 2.5 hour stalk John was set up 144 yards away. I was nervously watching through the spotter as he made a super shot on the bedded buck.

IMGP0189_zpseb79f6f9.jpgIMG_1191_zps4ab67697.jpgIMGP0198_zps87182811.jpgIMGP0196_zps74641d27.jpg

We headed into town for dinner and to take care of John's buck. The next day I was out solo and passed up several nice bucks when I spotted a good solid buck.

IMGP0216_zpse49ba649.jpgIMGP0214_zpsfe8dde9d.jpg

With light fading fast I dropped off of my ridge top and closed the distance to 507 yards. A quick glance through the binos to locate the big buck and the spike feeding across the canyon, I then got set up for the shot and squeezed the trigger. The bullet went right over the buck's back so I readjusted and sent another accubond on it's way....buck down! I loaded my gear and looked through the binos one more time to get a land mark when I realized the mistake I had just made. There looking at my dead buck was the spike and the big buck I thought I had been shooting at. Sometime during my stalk the two had picked up a third buck of which I had just taken. Oh well, mental note made, good eating on the ground, and no regrets.

IMG_1198_zps0ca76fc5.jpgIMG_1197_zps55d9e791.jpg

Sorry for the pictures of my buck but it was dark and I was a long ways from camp still. All in all it was a great journey with friends, family, and the great outdoors! It was so awesome to spend time with John, his dad, and my dad doing what we all love so much. Worst part of the entire thing was breaking camp but I still have Mexico in a couple weeks to look forward to!

IMGP0278_zpse79b5388.jpg

That buck of John's is awesome. Neat deer. Bummer on your buck, but like you said - it happens. Especially solo. My cousin shot the wrong buck on a triple beam deer a few years ago cause he left his 10's behind on a stalk. He'll never do that again.

Great write up man.

John's buck is awesome!

Congrats again to the both of you. I know how much planning and investment in time you all put into scouting for this hunt. Nice to see it paid off for one of you.

Heck of a long stalk. Glad everything panned out and he was able to drop the hammer on that buck!

Wish I could have been there to help you when you were hunting solo. I know how hard that can be, especially when making those long shots. Your buck still will taste good on the grill! ;)

You are right though...Mexico awaits!!

Love all the pics and write-up!! Congratulations on an excellent hunt and some fine bucks! Bummer about your mix-up, but you still have your memories and some fine meat to enjoy!! Thanks for sharing the hunt with us and including preseason scouting and all!

First buck is a stud with tons of character.! That's a tough way tag out on you late hunt with the second buck. Each time you think you have these deer figured out they find a way to humble you.

Congratulations Phil, You are the hardest hunting fool I know. Way to get it done. I bet you drop that buck of your dreams in a couple of weeks down in Mexico. Thanks for the story and photos.

Keven

Phil that is just to awesome man, thanks for sharing all of it... Always love your posts

Phil, great writeup and pictures. Just think, less than two weeks and we will be at it again. And not a bad mistake buck. Congrats