Sign in to follow this  
GingerRam

Pigs in 37B - numbers low?

Hey all - Been in 37B a good amount this year as I had a late Nov deer tag and am now on to archery. I haven't seen much in the way of pigs this year, anyone else in the same boat? I'm usually in the Freeman Ranch road/96 Hills area but?????

Kinda freaking here as I have a late Feb tag and it will be my 7y.o daughters first hunt. Any thoughts? (no honey holes) but any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks -

Mark

the wind has them bedded for most of the day. once it stops be out there and youll see them. we killed 2 this weekend out of the 4 herds we came across.

It seems to be the case near Oracle, Black Hills. They've been hard to find the last few years. The herds we do find are only 4 or 5 pigs. Hate to kill a quarter of the herd with one shot. Not sure what's going on...disease, predators, drought, over hunting...

I heard a disease wiped some herds out in the southern sections of the unit. Nothing official, just what I heard.

Heard of a few biting the dust off of the Florence Kelvin Hwy and some over by Superior.

I have been looking about 3 days a week for about 3 months north of gila river all the way to 60 (mostly around florence national guard area) and I still havent seen 1 yet. I must be doing something wrong.

Get to a good vantage point, once the wind calms down and the sun starts hitting the western facing slopes, glass, glass and glass some more.

You'll find em.

Went to 3 different spots all in different parts of the unit and all 3 times I got in to pigs.

Finally stuck one this past Sunday evening. Herd had about 13 pigs in it. Both the other times it was just 2 and 3.

Good luck,

I know three were pulled out of our little spot in 37B, hopefully another three or four will come out also! The wind was messing with them last weekend, they didn't follow the normal routine, and were found all over the place bedded, in the hills, in the flats, and in the thick stuff!

Good luck with your hunt. Keep us posted. Hopefully you will be showing us pictures soon.

TJ

Not in your unit but I have found 3 sites in mine with hot sign and I have yet to spot the little guys. Lots of sign but they are not moving around much. Back at it again this weekend. Tuff to spot if they are not moving. Suggest finding hot sign then keep at that area with glass.

Can't seem to run my dogs anywhere off the box canyon road or by the florence military reservation without pig problems. Down in the rolling hills so no good vantage points for glassing. Bunch of caves and mines so maybe they like all the places to hole up? Good luck!