Sign in to follow this  
Shedhunteraz

***Another first for me***

Let me start off by saying none of my hunting and accomplishments this year could not have been even possible with out the blessing of god to harvest his animals. Second my amazing wife holly, I went on and on about her in my first elk I took in nov, but she is just that special and meaningfull to me in my life. Well 2013 archery came upon us and I wanted to give it a shot to take my first deer with a bow. We arrived the day after xmas to our cabin to a nice 20 inches of snow. We wake up the following day to an additional 16 inches of snow. Thanks weather man for calling for 3 to 6. With spirit somewhat down we still wanted to give it shot. My wife the beyond avid shed hunter wanted to check our cameras to see any glimpse of a one horned bull to get her season off and running. We scouted all our go to spots and honey holes and plenty of sign but no visible animals. Discouraging yes be we trekked on. Opening morning brought freexing cold temps and deep snow no matter where we went. The days went on and saw tons of sign but never could get on anything. We wake up Friday morning to a bone chilling 7 degrees as we left before light. Get to our spot and sit and wait. We could see they were there but were eluding us. I could here them below me but never could get a beat on them. We sat and walked all day and still nothing. We head for home around 515, come around turn where they have been known to hang out and low and behold nice 4x4 with two other bucks chasing some does around. So I stop the ranger, my father in law head down the ridge to try to get a shot off the nice 4x I get out grab my bow and take off above him with my son in tow. My father in law gets to 40 yds, no shot deer is standing butt facing him and not a shot to take. The deer was to busy watching me from above, I get to where I think is close enough and range him at 70 and all of sudden he turns and takes off. Then the rest scatter. Lost opportunity. As angry as I was, it was not in god’s plan for us at that moment. We head off home to regroup. Following morning we head off, my son and I one way and my wife and her dad the other. We sat till around 11 and nothing. We could hear them but never could get a good beat on them. We take off for home grab some lunch and plan for the evening. My wife decides to stay back this time, our youngest son was missing us not being there and bored with hanging out with his older sister. So myself and my son and father in law head off around 3. Temps were at a high of 50, the most it had been in a few days so I was hesistant they would even be moving. We park the ranger, my son goes one way on the ridge and Jeff and I head off to our spot we had seen them the previous day. No more than 30 yards we see 2 does strait infront of us up on the ridge. We did the staring dance for a few mins and they wandered off to their left. Jeff heads off to the opposite ridge and I took the road to where I was going to set up. 50 yards from my start I hear the best sound, a mean nasty buck snorting like crazy. I couldn’t get a beat on him so I get down on my knees and crawl thorugh the snow. Still snorting I peak around some scrub and there he stood. The 4x we say the previous day. I range him at 97 and wasn’t comfortable with the shot. He winds me and bails off. Another lost chance. So I continue on and sit down in my spot. I have one doe come 20 yards and never see’s me. Well its 445 and my rear end is frozen solid and I was bored so I head up to back side of the ridge I saw the two does earlier. I get to top wading in 2ft of snow I see a deer super highway. Sit for a few to catch my breath and catch something out the corner of my eye. The two does I saw earlier. Well they start to move down the hill almost to the spot we were glassing them from the other side. They never hear me because I snow up thighs, quite fun. So they now cross the road and stop look back and see me. We do this dance again and the first walks off and then the second. Then the buck steps out that I never saw. At this point he is half behind a tree and staring right at me. Bow in the left hand I pull an arrow out and nock the arrow, he puts his head back down and eats. I inch forward pull my range finder and I have him at 77 yards. Feeling very confident I draw back. He steps forward quarter turns toward me. Tink, I let the arrow fly. All I see is my lighted nock flying through the arrow and thump. I hit him hard. He jumps up takes off. At this point I don’t know how well I hit him, but I knew I hit him hard. Extatic I take off down the hill trip and fall in the knee deep snow. Finally get to the road call my dad on the radio, no answer. I try like mad to get my wife on the phone. Finally I get her, I tell her head down here with the other kids. I start whistiling and no response. At this point I am about to pee my pants I am so happy and no one to share it with. Finally my son come running down the road and I told him I hit one. He was hit hard but not sure. I head over to the scene of the crime and see where he was standing and where he took off. Look alittle farther and see my arrow all lighted up in the snow. I was thinking crap I didn’t get him that good. I had noticed it was shorter than normal. I grab another arrow and measure up. He had 9 inches in him still. I am thanking god at this point. So I look down the hill and I see what every hunter loves to see on an archery shot, blood trial o plenty. I run back to road to find my dad, I find him. He’s like what in the heck are you whistling about? You scared the buck I was on and coming right towards him. I apologized and told him I got one down. With head lamps lit up we head off down the hill to follow the blood trail. 30 yards from the shot I had fallen down and got back up. Blood trial good we keep on slow down the hill. Get to about 50 yds past that and I see him there piled up plowed into a snow embankment. I immediately high five my father in law about know him over and the joy begins. This has truly been a year of a lifetime. I got my first elk this year with my brother in law, my wife and my father in law. And now I got my first archery deer with my son and father in law and wife. I honestly could not have done any of it with out my wife. Between the miles she puts on her boots shed hunting and me scouting it all came together. With out her none of I would have meant as much as it does. I thank my family and my kids for the support and hours we both spend away hunting gods creatures. Holly once again I cannot thank you enough for all you do for me and the kids in life and our hunting adventures. Well we have an archery bear tag and then we are done till oct when my brother in law and I head to Wyoming to speed goat hunt and do some mule deer there also. Thanks for reading.

post-1-0-26194000-1357590880_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-05383000-1357590884_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-07952300-1357590889_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-00966100-1357590891.jpg

Great job, great buck and nice write up. Seems like any hunting adventure is better when the family is their with you.

Great buck! Way to get it done and with the family in tow! Looks way COLD!

NICE JOB DUDE!

I enjoyed the story too!

man I'm stoked for you! that is just too cool!

James

Wat to get Kevin!! Good to see those kiddos getting involved!!!!!

First of all let me just say I would have peed my pants with a blood trail from a buck like yours. That's awesome you had the the family there to share it with. Congratulations on a beauty and thanks for sharing the hunt with us. Great writeup and them pictures look cold.

TJ