Sign in to follow this  

Well here is a project I have piecing together for quite sometime.

I finally have everything together and was able to take it for a break-in on Sunday (cold and Windy)

Savage weather warrior, Shilen 24” in .260 Rem, Stockade Thumbhole, Zeiss 4.5-14 w/ RZ 800. ( Zeiss not pictured)

My speeds are under 2600 shooting 140gr bergers and 41.5 gr IMR 4350. I was hoping to be near 2800-2850 for final development.

I am extremely pleased with 1st results, the barrel still needs floated and it was very windy

I am not having any pressure signs. Is it possible to get speeds near what I want using IMR 4350 and maxing out about 44.5 gr?

2013-01-01_14-50-42_375.jpg

Here is the first 10 shots. Shoot, Clean 5x then tried a group.

2013-01-06_17-29-01_461.jpg

The stock still needs finished and the barrel floated. I have to get a load devloped by the end of the month, So I can ship my scope to Kenton for a Retrofit and a new turret. (Zeiss deal)

That is slow, especially in a 24" tube...

Try Hunter, RL-17, RL-19 or a plethora of other suitable powders.

Shooting that bullet would want me to get to at least 2750 on the low end, 2850 on the top end with accuracy before I would be satisfied with that setup.

Good luck -

Yeah that is what I was thinking it is just a bit slow.

I have heard the speeds from RL 17 are great but I do not want to deal with a Temp sensative powder.

That is why I am set on 4350 for now.

Right now it is 30-50 degrees

during the hunting seasons it is 15 to 100 degrees depending on locations I hunt

Correct -

RL-17 may be "sensitive" relatvie to other extreme powders but you won't notice much until you get to pretty far below zero.

In Arizona I imagine you are just fine -

Ron what kind of speeds are you seeing with the 123gr bullets?

How long is your barrel?

Pardon my ignorance but what would be considered an extreme powder?

Yeah I feel pretty fortunate to live in a place we never get those Negative signs before the temp :)

How do you get that zeiss deal for the kenton turret. I got a 6.5-20 on december 28 so I know it is elgible for the rebate, I have only found the 100 rebate thru zeiss. I can not seem to locate how to get the kenton rebate as well?