Sign in to follow this  
Bryson Bendall

My First Stink Pig!

I just wanted to share my javelina hunt with you guys. I have had a couple other javelina tags but never saw a pig while holding a tag so I was determined to change that this year. After graduating last month from ASU, my wife and I moved to Thatcher where she is from and I haven't found a job yet so I have had a little time to hunt some new country which has been awesome. I went out yesterday with pigs on my mind and checked out a new area about mid-morning. About 11 while driving I saw a coyote walking away from me so I kept going up the rode a ways, got out, circled around the hill and called it in. It came into about 80 yards but I only had my bow so I'll have to go back for that one. I kept going up the road and got into the hills and did some glassing on a ridge that really looked piggy. Found a couple mule deer does and then spotted a heard of pigs. I took off to get close and a couple whitetail does busted out and scared off the pigs and mulies. It was pretty awesome to have whitetail, pigs, and mule deer all on the same hill! Well I chased after them, got close and busted them out of some brush once, and finally got close again and missed about a 40 yard shot on the heard boar.

Well, today my father in law Jon and 10 year old brother in law decided to head out to a ranch that my father in law has gotten permission to hunt on. When we left the house it looked like it was going to be a nice day, but when we got out there the wind had picked up and it was snowing. We made a coyote stand but nearly froze to death on the side of the little canyon. After about 10 minutes of calling Jon looked down in the bottom to our right and spotted a heard of pigs. We hiked back to the truck, I grabbed my bow and went after them and jon stayed on the top to give me hand signals. I eased down the side of the canyon and into the bottom but the grass was so high that I couldn't see the pigs. Jon was flailing his arms to get me to keep going, so I eased closer another 20 yards and I saw him motion to stop and draw back... But I still didn't see pigs... I knocked an arrow, and finally a sow stepped out at about 30 yards. My heart started racing, I drew back, squeezed the trigger of my release and watched the arrow hit home... she expired in about 30 yards. It was a blast although I am worried, after cleaning her and the way my hands still smell after washing them about 15 times that she wont taste all that good. Well, we have her hanging and we are thinking of roasting her in a pit so...We will see!

post-299-0-06312500-1358049427_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's why they're called stink pigs. I've killed 3 sows now and 2 of them have been great. This last one is the first to really stink, so we shall see!

Congrats! My experience has been that the larger ones taste like they smell and the smaller ones are pretty good.

As long as you don't touch the meat with your hands while skinning, the meat should be excellent. But if you touch the hide and then touch the meat, you can transfer some of their musky smell to the meat and you will be in trouble. Skinning the javelina without getting any scent on the meat is key to making sure the meat is enjoyable. I haven't had any javelina that weren't good eating.

• Like 1

As long as you don't touch the meat with your hands while skinning, the meat should be excellent. But if you touch the hide and then touch the meat, you can transfer some of their musky smell to the meat and you will be in trouble. Skinning the javelina without getting any scent on the meat is key to making sure the meat is enjoyable. I haven't had any javelina that weren't good eating.

Amanda is right on.

TJ

It you haven't cooked it yet soak the meat in salt and ice cubes in water. It will draw out most of the blood and 90% of the smell. I do it to all the pigs I take. I usually bone them out in the field and use a 5 gallon bucket. I use sea salt ( non iodized) but any salt would probably be good.

I first trim off the fat pieces and put three coffee cups of salt in with the water (1/2 bucket) then I add a bag of ice and the meat and let it soak for 4-6 hours, drain and do it again stirring the meat around every hour or so and replenishing the ice as needed.

Congrats on the pig. Thatcher is a great place for sure.

It you haven't cooked it yet soak the meat in salt and ice cubes in water. It will draw out most of the blood and 90% of the smell. I do it to all the pigs I take. I usually bone them out in the field and use a 5 gallon bucket. I use sea salt ( non iodized) but any salt would probably be good.

I first trim off the fat pieces and put three coffee cups of salt in with the water (1/2 bucket) then I add a bag of ice and the meat and let it soak for 4-6 hours, drain and do it again stirring the meat around every hour or so and replenishing the ice as needed.

Congrats on the pig. Thatcher is a great place for sure.

I do something similar. In a cooler, gallon water, cup of salt, bag of ice. two days, changing the brine once. No smell!

Awesome! Way to get it done Buddy! And a great looking pig too!

Thanks guys for the kind words and advice. After letting her hang for a couple of nights, I just butchered her and she is soaking in ice water and salt. I will keep her soaking and change the brine a couple times as you guys said and we will see how it goes! I will keep you updated.