Flatlander

Pig in a blanket . .

Or at least it probably wished it would have been this morning when it was 22 degrees.

We started out this morning back in our usual spot looking for pigs and deer. We found some about 8:30 and the stalk was on. Well everything that could go wrong did, wind swirled all over the place, a cow spooked and ran right through the herd, a coyote chased a jack rabbit all over the hill they were on. Needless to say when we got to where they were, they were no longer. We setup the tripods and got started looking for them. We glassed up the pigs and a buck about the same time and there was a decision to be made. Well the buck slipped into a wash so we decided the pigs were a better better bet, but by this time another hunter had closed in on them.

After watching for a few minutes we realized he had no idea where they had moved to so Mike took off to see if he could cut them off while I kept track of them from our hill top. As Mike headed out I settled in to watch the show. Before long I could see the pigs scatter and I realized the other hunter had stumbled into them and flung an arrow. Fortunately the pigs ran right into Mike's lap and after a couple of tries a pig stayed in front of one of his arrows long enough to get stuck. The hit was low and the blood trail was long. While working the blood trail we met up with the other hunters who turned out to be some acquaintances Mike has met down there hunting before. They were kind enough to help us out and after a couple hours we were able to find the wounded pig holed up in some mesquites. Mike got another arrow in her and she only went another 50 yards or so.

All told it took us about 3 hours to recover the Javi after the first hit. This was a great day and ended a couple year drought for Mike. post-5618-0-91728700-1358050896_thumb.jpgpost-5618-0-68782300-1358050926_thumb.jpgpost-5618-0-41809200-1358050956_thumb.jpgpost-5618-0-57106900-1358050986_thumb.jpg

Way to get it done on a cold miserable day. I spent the day in the field but couldnt turn up a single deer or pig.

Took wife and daughter out last weekend and they froze. LOL every patch of water we found was 2 inches thick ice. No pigs for us yet.

Congrats

Congratulations Mike on your pig. Looks like it took a little while to recover but you did good sticking with it. Thanks for sharing. I like the picture of you sitting next to the pig in the sand.

TJ