Sign in to follow this  
DCMHunter

Best Antelope Unit?

I have 23 points and I was seriously looking at applying this year in 5B. It has been in the top 2 or 3 units and it has a large cut in tags for 2013. I have decided to hold off one or two years and look at it again.

The 2011 AZF&G Pronghorn Management Plan says the following concerning Unit 10: "In 2010, 31 fawns per 100 does were surveyed and in 2011, 53 fawns per 100 does were surveyed. This increase in fawn survival is due to predator control practices being implemented in Unit 10. Since May 2010 approximately 494 coyotes were removed by aerial gunning and trapping within 15 months."

Due to the coyote control, there should be a good crop of mature bucks coming up for the 2014 and 2015 seasons on Unit 10.

32 is awesome!

One problem for a max point holder in Unit 32, there has been only one tag in the last five years issued to a max point applicant in the 20% pass draw.

I would seriously consider waiting for Unit 10 and 9! Great Bucks in those unit's.

Thanks

Its been 30 years since I was last in unit 9 & 10, I hear there are some access issues in those areas. Are there any maps showing private land and those public lands that are blocked by private?

I had unit 2 a couple of years ago for a dear hunt and saw very few big bucks in unit 2B and some access issues on the northend of the unit. It was nothing like when I had my muzzy tag out there 20 + years ago. There was one respecable buck out behind the SRP power plant on private land, if he is still alive he my be worth spending time to try and catch him on state land.

What do you all think about unit 1 did the fire affect any of them?

DCM

With max points don't even consider any other units but Unit 10, 9, and 5B if you are after a top level trophy antelope. If you just want a nice antelope there are probably plenty of units to consider. If you want your very best chance at a huge buck hire Pronghorn Guide Service. They also do scouting packages if you are on a budget.

I am a non resident and have only actually hunted Unit 9 for elk, but everything I have heard there is ample public land, you just need to know where the private is.