Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Final wording for the Bait Ban

Hey All,

I wanted to share this final wording of the bait ban rule that I got from AGFD. This wording seems clearer than some of the older wording that has been posted in other threads.

So, as I understand it, you can still put out salt and hunt over salt. So regular salt or water softener salt or salt blocks are acceptable. You may also hunt over water.

Here is what it will say:

4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:

1. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or
  2. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.
  3. This subsection does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties.
  4. For the purposes of this subsection, edible or ingestible substances does not include:
    1. Water.
    2. Salt.
    3. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry.
    4. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations.

quote from AGFD email: "So water softener salt, table salt, or organic sea salt are all perfectly acceptable. But a salt-based product produced for something other than the livestock industry will not be acceptable. You can place a mineral salt lick in the field and hunt over it. Further, if it is a nutritional supplement, it must be placed there for the purposes of livestock management, not hunting."

quote from AGFD email: "So water softener salt, table salt, or organic sea salt are all perfectly acceptable. But a salt-based product produced for something other than the livestock industry will not be acceptable. You can place a mineral salt lick in the field and hunt over it. Further, if it is a nutritional supplement, it must be placed there for the purposes of livestock management, not hunting."

That quote seems to contradict itself... the three items they say are "perfectly acceptable" seem to fail the "salt-based product produced for something other than livestock industry will not be acceptable" test.

unless they are considering that ranchers salt their steaks and use water softeners so by definition they are produced for the livestock industry.

Seems clear as mud to me.

• Like 1

Thanks Amanda -

we should mention these agin - they were additions to unlawful methods of taking wildlife also

A-3.Any lure, attractant, or cover scent containing any cervid urine.

C,-Place any substance, device, or object in, on, or by any water source to prevent wildlife from using that water source.

Hey All,

I wanted to share this final wording of the bait ban rule that I got from AGFD. This wording seems clearer than some of the older wording that has been posted in other threads.

So, as I understand it, you can still put out salt and hunt over salt. So regular salt or water softener salt or salt blocks are acceptable. You may also hunt over water.

Here is what it will say:

4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:

1. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or
  2. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.
  3. This subsection does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties.
  4. For the purposes of this subsection, edible or ingestible substances does not include:
    1. Water.
    2. Salt.
    3. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry.
    4. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations.

is salt not a nutritional substance?

this make no sense!

James

Thanks Amanda -

we should mention these agin - they were additions to unlawful methods of taking wildlife also

A-3.Any lure, attractant, or cover scent containing any cervid urine.

C,-Place any substance, device, or object in, on, or by any water source to prevent wildlife from using that water source.

so a camera or a blind on a waterhole can be interpreted how they want?

why can't they just make it more clear!

I hate how lawmakers always muddy the waters!! no pun LOL!

James

So, a salt block is placed on the ground and 50 elk, 20 deer, a bear and 47 cows all lick it but it is not a threat to spread CWD, which is passed from animal to animal by saliva.

But grain, which the animals eat and therefore leave little or no saliva for the next visitor, is a threat?

• Like 5

All:

I know this is a bit confusing, and I'm not the last word on this topic, but if you look at the final rule language it does try to provide clarity. Any time I read any legal contract, I'm amazed at how unclear it is in the process of keeping the legal profession afloat. The last time I rented a car, I think I signed my name more often than when I bought my first house. Nevertheless, in this instance:

The rule specific exempts salt. It doesn't say that salt has to be for the livestock industry, but any type of salt is ok. If it is table salt, it is salt. If it is water softener salt, it is salt.

If it is a salt-based product, then it has to be manufactored for the livestock industry. Mineral licks fall into this category.

Finally, if it is a nutritional supplement that is not a salt-based product for the livestock industry or plain old salt, then it must be placed in the process of the agricultural operation. You can hunt over a molasses wheel if the livestock producer put it out for his cattle.

This was intended to to balance the risks associated with disease transmission and methods that are already in use or practiced for many decades. Salt is quite prevalent on the landscape. Adding more salt simply reduces any concentrations already in existence and already in use. Water and salt are naturallyl occurring. Other baits are not.

I hope this offers some help in interpreting the final rules adopted by the Commission.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Thanks Brian,that does help with the wording.

James

• Like 1

Better print this out and put it in our pockets. ;)

• Like 1

Brian,

My friend lives down near the San Pedro River, and hunts Feral Hogs. He puts corn out to bring the hogs in close to blinds. Can he continue to bait for the hogs? The Feral Hogs are a Non Game species, so I assume they are not Big Game either.

Thanks in advance.

All:

I know this is a bit confusing, and I'm not the last word on this topic, but if you look at the final rule language it does try to provide clarity. Any time I read any legal contract, I'm amazed at how unclear it is in the process of keeping the legal profession afloat. The last time I rented a car, I think I signed my name more often than when I bought my first house. Nevertheless, in this instance:

The rule specific exempts salt. It doesn't say that salt has to be for the livestock industry, but any type of salt is ok. If it is table salt, it is salt. If it is water softener salt, it is salt.

If it is a salt-based product, then it has to be manufactored for the livestock industry. Mineral licks fall into this category.

Finally, if it is a nutritional supplement that is not a salt-based product for the livestock industry or plain old salt, then it must be placed in the process of the agricultural operation. You can hunt over a molasses wheel if the livestock producer put it out for his cattle.

This was intended to to balance the risks associated with disease transmission and methods that are already in use or practiced for many decades. Salt is quite prevalent on the landscape. Adding more salt simply reduces any concentrations already in existence and already in use. Water and salt are naturallyl occurring. Other baits are not.

I hope this offers some help in interpreting the final rules adopted by the Commission.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Brian - as a former govt. official who helped craft legislation, I think you guys did a heck of a job. I don't know what isn't clear - that wording is some of the clearest language I have seen. Some people read what they want into it - and that will never change. There is no question in my mind after reading that what I can and can't do.