Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Final wording for the Bait Ban

All:

I know this is a bit confusing, and I'm not the last word on this topic, but if you look at the final rule language it does try to provide clarity. Any time I read any legal contract, I'm amazed at how unclear it is in the process of keeping the legal profession afloat. The last time I rented a car, I think I signed my name more often than when I bought my first house. Nevertheless, in this instance:

The rule specific exempts salt. It doesn't say that salt has to be for the livestock industry, but any type of salt is ok. If it is table salt, it is salt. If it is water softener salt, it is salt.

If it is a salt-based product, then it has to be manufactored for the livestock industry. Mineral licks fall into this category.

Finally, if it is a nutritional supplement that is not a salt-based product for the livestock industry or plain old salt, then it must be placed in the process of the agricultural operation. You can hunt over a molasses wheel if the livestock producer put it out for his cattle.

This was intended to to balance the risks associated with disease transmission and methods that are already in use or practiced for many decades. Salt is quite prevalent on the landscape. Adding more salt simply reduces any concentrations already in existence and already in use. Water and salt are naturallyl occurring. Other baits are not.

I hope this offers some help in interpreting the final rules adopted by the Commission.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Brian - as a former govt. official who helped craft legislation, I think you guys did a heck of a job. I don't know what isn't clear - that wording is some of the clearest language I have seen. Some people read what they want into it - and that will never change. There is no question in my mind after reading that what I can and can't do.

maybe this explains the "former"

All:

I know this is a bit confusing, and I'm not the last word on this topic, but if you look at the final rule language it does try to provide clarity. Any time I read any legal contract, I'm amazed at how unclear it is in the process of keeping the legal profession afloat. The last time I rented a car, I think I signed my name more often than when I bought my first house. Nevertheless, in this instance:

The rule specific exempts salt. It doesn't say that salt has to be for the livestock industry, but any type of salt is ok. If it is table salt, it is salt. If it is water softener salt, it is salt.

If it is a salt-based product, then it has to be manufactored for the livestock industry. Mineral licks fall into this category.

Finally, if it is a nutritional supplement that is not a salt-based product for the livestock industry or plain old salt, then it must be placed in the process of the agricultural operation. You can hunt over a molasses wheel if the livestock producer put it out for his cattle.

This was intended to to balance the risks associated with disease transmission and methods that are already in use or practiced for many decades. Salt is quite prevalent on the landscape. Adding more salt simply reduces any concentrations already in existence and already in use. Water and salt are naturallyl occurring. Other baits are not.

I hope this offers some help in interpreting the final rules adopted by the Commission.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

Brian - as a former govt. official who helped craft legislation, I think you guys did a heck of a job. I don't know what isn't clear - that wording is some of the clearest language I have seen. Some people read what they want into it - and that will never change. There is no question in my mind after reading that what I can and can't do.

maybe this explains the "former"

Do you want to explain? What isn't clear about it and what does my former service to the public have to do with it?

From what I take of this it is only for the DEER family (Elk, Antelope, Coues, Muley, Jackelopes) correct? Javelina, predators (except bears), turkey ect are all exempt.

From what I take of this it is only for the DEER family (Elk, Antelope, Coues, Muley, Jackelopes) correct? Javelina, predators (except bears), turkey ect are all exempt.

Clay,

I think it applies to all Big Game.

AGFD defines big game as

Big Game: Any of the following species: mule deer, white-tailed deer,

pronghorn antelope, elk, turkey, javelina, bear, bighorn sheep, buffalo

and mountain lion.

All:

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

might be a dumb question but this is what i dont understand

All:

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

if it's pure salt, it's fine. If there are additives like other minerals or attractants, then it has to be designed for livestock industry. A mineral block is different from a salt block. I think the intent of this wording is to not allow things like deer cane or other products with additives designed to specifically attract deer. Maybe Brian will come and clarify.

I guess I'll just stick with spot and stalk, or hunting over water. I never did any baiting but this is still kinda pointless IMO... Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt this put into place to stop the transmission of a disease that doesnt exist around here? And if it did, then wouldn't the salt licks able to spread it around? I understand the concern about stopping the spread of disease, but this seems like it won't stop anything.

All:

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

if it's pure salt, it's fine. If there are additives like other minerals or attractants, then it has to be designed for livestock industry. A mineral block is different from a salt block. I think the intent of this wording is to not allow things like deer cane or other products with additives designed to specifically attract deer. Maybe Brian will come and clarify.

thanks amanda i just think the two sentances contradict themselves just because

mineral licks are designed for the livestock industry such as trace mineral thats what i am trying to understand

I think the wording explains pure salt is fine. But once you get into deer cain or anything with a deer on the bag or sold at basspro, that's when you run into trouble.

I think the wording explains pure salt is fine. But once you get into deer cain or anything with a deer on the bag or sold at basspro, that's when you run into trouble.

What do they have against the Pakers? Lol, did some take "their" buck over c'mere deer or something? Lol.

All:

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

thanks amanda i just think the two sentances contradict themselves just because

mineral licks are designed for the livestock industry such as trace mineral thats what i am trying to understand

I don't understand your confusion. Mineral blocks would be allowed because they are designed for the livestock industry. Mineral blocks are considered a "salt-based" product, not pure salt. Anything that is salt-based but not pure salt must be designed for the livestock industry. If it is, then you can use it.

I guess I'll just stick with spot and stalk, or hunting over water. I never did any baiting but this is still kinda pointless IMO... Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt this put into place to stop the transmission of a disease that doesnt exist around here? And if it did, then wouldn't the salt licks able to spread it around? I understand the concern about stopping the spread of disease, but this seems like it won't stop anything.

I think it was said on here in 1 of the original posts ( correct me if I'm wrong) that salt kills the disease or something to that effect.

James