I'm looking to buy an elk rifle in 300 win mag and stuck between two as of right now. Please let me know what the pros/cons or what your thoughts are. The first one is the Remington 700 xcr tactical and the second is the weatherby accumark v. The overall length and weight is almost identical. There is about a 600.00 difference, if I went with the Remington what could or should I do with the difference. Fluted barrel vs. non and break or no break. Weatherby do make the mark v in a ultra lightweight, how much of a benefit that 2 pounds. Thanks for any info.

Don't shoot a big magnum and you won't have to spend money on brakes. 6.5-284, 270, 284 win and the 30-06 all kill elk easily and won't beat you up to do it. The lighter the rifle the more its going to buck even with a brake on it. I would buy the cheaper of the two and use the left over on quality glass to put on top of it. That's my two.

Two pounds is a noticable difference. Especially on the last mile, or any uphill stretch!

$600 is also a big difference, and that could be put towards top tier optics and/or ammo to get profecient with the rifle. When buying a rifle someone elses opinion doesn't really count for much as in the end it is your money and your rifle. Buy which ever one feels best. Work the action, work the safety, bring it up to your face quickly, dry fire it a few rounds, how/where does the gun balance, how does you hand fit around the egronimal aspects of the rifle. All of this is what matters, caliber is only a small percentage of what is important in a rifle.

I ordered a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in .300 Win Mag a few weeks ago. It will be my primary elk rifle for the foreseeable future. However, I will still carry my Ruger No. 1-H in 9.3x74R on days when there is not likely to be much climbing or long-range shooting. You might want to take a look at the Winchester before deciding...

I prefer the Remington's for looks and location of the safety. The lighter rifle will kick more and for a hunting rifle in 300 I would look to have the total weight with scope at around 8 to 8 1/2 pounds. I would also shoot 180gr bullets for elk.

For the sake of your hunting partners ears, don't put a break on it. My lil bro has one and it's an ear shredder. Shoots like a dream but really rings your bell. I say buy the remmington and put what you save into the scope. You could also put a thumbhole stock on it to reduce the felt recoil instead of a muzzle break. Or buy a 270 and you won't have to worry about taming recoil. It's plenty big enough for elk and lighter than a magnum. Plus, it's a heck of a coues/mule/javalina/antelope/bear rifle.

I would go with a 7 mag first then the 300 mags and i would break it and just toss some ear plugs in the pack

Oh, we carry ear plugs, but we never seem to remember them in the heat of the moment...

The 270 is a fine cartridge but bear in mind that the 300WM has roughly 1000 foot pounds more energy when comparing 150 gr bullets.

Maybe at the muzzle. But at 1000 yards there's only 50 foot pound difference with 150gr bullets. Yeah the 300 is capable of higher performance but the 270 is more than capable to take elk with.

Maybe at the muzzle. But at 1000 yards there's only 50 foot pound difference with 150gr bullets. Yeah the 300 is capable of higher performance but the 270 is more than capable to take elk with.

Ah, the age old argument, 270 vs 300... I have a 300 so you know where I stand. But a lot of people can't handle a 300 and that's fine, a 270 will take anything in North or South America, and everything except the big stuff in Africa. I mentioned the 270 to save weight and to save money cuz you shouldn't need a muzzle break. Go with what you like, I'll never argue against a 300, but to each their own. I would, however say to stick with the Remington in whatever caliber.

Thanks guys, I do really appreciate all the info. Still haven't decided on one yet but thought I would open a new can of worms with the remington 700 in 300 win mag vs the 7mm. This would be my elk and bear gun. Thanks again

7mm Mag has much better ballistics than the .300. A higher B.C. means more down down range energy flatter trajectory and less wind drift. A 7 mag with 168 bergers is hard to beat and will kill absolutely anything you ever want it to.