Sign in to follow this  
Randyh2412

Daughter's First Deer Hunt

This year was my 10 year old daughter’s first deer hunt. We picked up a leftover tag in November for her. This is what she had to say about the hunt.

My First Deer Hunt

My first deer hunt was near the Mexican border. Me, Marcos, Matt, and Josh all had tags for White-tailed deer. We came in late on Thursday so we set up camp and took off in our two Rangers and checked out the area we’d be hunting in. Friday morning we set out on our Rangers until we parked in a small clearing next to the road. Then we climbed a tall ridge and glassed from there. When we got to the top we got blasted by a very strong wind. We had glassed for about a half hour until we spotted a group of three deer. Since me and Marcos were the youngest Matt and Josh let us have the first try at the group.

So me, my dad, and Marcos had to circle back to the road and drive closer to the deer. We had to hike a couple of ridges to come in full sight of the deer. I was shooting a 308 win. I believe Marcos was shooting a 7mm mag. When we got to a point close enough for me to shoot we stopped and waited for the deer to get in the right position. When I finally shot the gun at 260 yards (a gun I’ve never shot before) there was a big silence. I gave Marcos the bigger one because I already owed him for grabbing me when I almost fell down a tall hill into a pile of cacti. Sure he grabbed me a couple other times but that one would’ve hurt the most. We were supposed to have shot one after the other real fast but Marcos lost the big buck for a second. But then he found it and shot it.

We had both shot our deer and killed them but mine was the best hit-and-kill shot. So my dad and Marcos dragged our deer down to a place where we could gut our deer. It was the most disgusting thing I ever saw and heard.

For me, she had a few other excuses for not shooting the bigger buck, but all that matters is that she was happy. RIGHT. The next day she did ask or wish she had another tag to keep hunting. I'm very proud and she do alot of shooting with her 22. We borrowed a 243 that she shot before the hunt, but she wanted to use her moms rifle.

post-3665-0-11323100-1358372366_thumb.jpg

post-3665-0-71573700-1358373348_thumb.jpg

The picture tells it all. Thanks for sharing.

TJ

way to go Aisha. Let me tell you guys this girl can shoot (rifle or bow).

Congratulations on her first buck and awesome job on retelling the story in a way only she could.