Sign in to follow this  
WHALE

Over the counter archery ugly pig

My brother invited me down to his area to go chase a heard of pig he has been seeing in the same square half mile area. I picked up an over the counter tag friday night and saturday we hit the hills. We spotted the pigs at about 9:30 and started towards them. After bumping them twice we finally got in close and I was able to get a 21 yard opening but his head was the only thing I had a clear shot at. He his the ugliest pig I have ever shot or seen. Any ideas what the cause is?

post-3109-0-15913100-1358719362_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the invite brother.

post-3109-0-53478400-1358719320_thumb.jpg

First of all congratulations on the over the counter success. Secondly, this just might be the prettiest pig I've ever seen. How awesome!! I've never seen an ugly pig in my life. I'll bet it taste just as good as all the others. Again, way to get it done my friend.

TJ

Pretty cool pig! Reminds me of all the dogs in Brasil that lost thier hair due to a disease called "Sarna" or more known as the 7 year itch disease.

Could it be mange? I've never heard of a javelina suffering from it, but I do know of at least one Arizona black bear that had had it.

I was there when wildlife manager Tom Waddell snared it on Mount Graham and weighed, collared and released it. It had huge patches of skin without hair. When Tom snared the same bear again a couple of years later its hair had returned.

Seeing that bear sent me to the library to learn more about mange. It apparently is caused by parasitic mites that cause severe itching that results in hair loss, scabs and sores. Most mammals, including humans, can be infected.

Bill Quimby

1 Ugly pig but great Kill Man ! Headshot and all! I tend to agree with Bill Quimby, that does look like Mange. Probably wouldn't hurt to have G&FD to check a sample. The'll just need to scrape the skin in the affected area. Great kill either way!! ;)

At least you shot it right in the ULGY !!! :o

Looks like Mange.

First of all congratulations on the over the counter success. Secondly, this just might be the prettiest pig I've ever seen. How awesome!! I've never seen an ugly pig in my life. I'll bet it taste just as good as all the others. Again, way to get it done my friend.

I was wondering what you might think TJ, being you love these little guys so much. Talk to ya later