Sign in to follow this  
Bryson Bendall

Another AZ yote adventure

Just wanted to share this one with you. My father in law and I went out this morning to a ranch he has access to and did some calling. First stand, I called and we had one come in hard from behind us. He ran past us on my left and I barked but couldn't stop him so I sent one flying... miss... My father in law followed me up and put one in his front leg. He rolled and gnawed on himself for a few more minutes so we kept calling. With nothing else coming in I took a finishing shot and missed at like 75 yards!!! Humbling... At this point he got up and started running right toward a group of cows so we opted to not take another shot and by the time he was clear of them he was out of range. It was nice to call one in on the first set all though we didn't recover him, which kills me even if it is a coyote.

The next four or five stands were dry and we found ourselves at the top of a large drainage that I shot my javelina in a few weeks ago. We set up on the north side of the drainage, facing south, no wind, about 150 yards from the bottom. My father in law called and about 10 minutes into the set we were starting to get a little bored! All of a sudden I hear Jon answer his phone... for some reason I cracked up and about gave up on the set. He hung up after a couple minutes and blew another series of distress. Soon I caught movement in the bottom as a coyote trotted out of the wash beneath us and posed. "Coyote!"... I moved my shooting sticks slightly, squared my crosshairs on his chest, and squeezed the accu-trigger on the 22-250. Boom... Flop... It looks like my gun was shooting a little high as I had aimed for his chest and hit him in the neck right under the jaw. He had a really nice coat and was pretty good size. We made a couple more sets and headed out, spooking two more coyotes as we drove out and seeing a heard of pigs... it was a fun morning!

post-299-0-76770600-1359084693_thumb.jpg

Nice job Bryson, you might have to change your name to Coyote Killer, lol