Sign in to follow this  
cardawg

Another Gun Question

Just got done applying for my elk tag,if I am lucky enough to get one,I was wanting to try somethig differant this time,I have a M1 Garand and have only used it for target shooting,was thinking about putting a scope on it and trying it out for Elk,my main concern is that its real heavy,other than that,anyone ever use one for Elk hunting ?

Why not that is 30-06 cal take too different guns and carry it when the shots are close. Go old school on them lol. My grandpa used one in WW II and said they shot good.

Don't scope it. Great gun for an area where open sites and quick shots are the primary means of hunting.

You certainly do not need a scope to kill an elk. If your hunting in juniper country, shots could easily be under 100 yards. If you really want a scope and it needs to be tapped for one, dont do it. Do some research tho, the military did put scopes on some back in the day, I am not sure how they were attached. I know they put them to the side so that the en-block clip could still be taken in and out. It sure would be fun to hunt with such a historic rifle! my 2 cents

You can buy a adapter that is original equiptment for mounting a scope,so there is no need to tap and drill the Rifle,I agree and I would not alter the Rifle,its a match grade that was handed down thru the family

Car- i have shot several elk with a 30-06, including the last two. i have not shot one with either of my Garands. - factory ammo is not made for a Garand. Except for some special match stuff hornady loads. You need to reload hunting ammo. . It has a long op rod. the pressure curve on factory ammo is too high. - i loaded and shot over 2500 rounds from mine one year. the regs Used to require a 5 round magazine. they are available, i have some. because of the top eject; the garand does not lend itself to scope mounting, even though both of mine have a scope mounts on them. they can be very accurate. i have one that shoots less than .75 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. sorry i can't type. i can shoot . ps: the griffin and hough scope mounts are expensive . i have a B/s mount . the gun i carried for bighorn was heavier than my garand. roninflag