Sign in to follow this  
couesgirl84

Baiting???

So, during this hunt in January, we were told that baiting was no longer allowed and that the only thing that you could continue to use was salt blocks. Can some one please clarify that for me. It would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

From what I believe it would not of effected you for your hunt. I will have to look, but I believe it goes into effect on June 1st. Below is the changes pulled directly from G&F

What is “bait”?

For the purposes of this rulemaking, the Commission considers bait to include any food-stuff or ingestible material that has been deposited, scattered, piled, or delivered by a passive or active feeder or feed delivery system so as to constitute an attractant, lure or enticement to wildlife and to influence the movement of these animals for the purpose of harvest by hunters.

“Bait” does not include:

• Water
  • Salt or salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry
  • Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations
  • Decoys
  • Scent lures provided they do not contain cervid urine
  • Chemical attractants provided they are not ingestible
  • Food plots planted within accepted local or regional agricultural guidelines

Just found this as well. It looks like the new rule does not go into place until sometime until Setember or October.

Timeline, public comment opportunities for Article 3 “Taking and Handling of Wildlife”

Aug. 3-4, 2012, Public Commission Meeting – Informative briefing only, and limited to matters that are being considered in the rulemaking package for Article 3.

Sept. 7-8, 2012, Public Commission Meeting – Formal presentation to the Commission, with the Department’s recommendation that the formal Notice of Docket Opening and Notice of Proposed Rule Making be filed with the Secretary of State’s office, for publication in the Arizona Administrative Register. Public attendance and comments welcome.

Oct. 5 – Nov. 5, 2012, Public Comment Period – The 30-day public comment period for the proposed rule language. Comments may be submitted via telephone, e-mail, or USPS mail.

Nov. 2012 – Jan. 2013, Agency Evaluation – Agency will evaluate and review comments; consider any changes, impacts, etc.; and provide responses to all comments.

Jan. 11-12, 2013, Public Commission Meeting – Formal presentation to the Commission regarding final package, based on input from the public comment period, and recommendation to submit Notice of Final Rulemaking and Economic Impact Statement to the Governor’s Regulatory Review Counsel (G.R.R.C.). Public attendance and comments welcome.

Feb. 7, 2013, Submit NFRM/EIS to G.R.R.C. – Submission of NFRM/EIS for review and the opening of G.R.R.C. public comment period.

April/May 2013, G.R.R.C. Meetings – Study session and council meetings to finalize input and identify questions and comments needed for final rule approval.

August 2013, Adoption of Rule – New rules qualify to become effective 60 days after approval from G.R.R.C.; however, in some instances rules are not adopted until the beginning of the next calendar year in order to allow time for the Department to prepare for implementation of approved amendments.

• Like 1

From what I believe it would not of effected you for your hunt. I will have to look, but I believe it goes into effect on June 1st. Below is the changes pulled directly from G&F

What is “bait”?

For the purposes of this rulemaking, the Commission considers bait to include any food-stuff or ingestible material that has been deposited, scattered, piled, or delivered by a passive or active feeder or feed delivery system so as to constitute an attractant, lure or enticement to wildlife and to influence the movement of these animals for the purpose of harvest by hunters.

“Bait” does not include:

• Water
  • Salt or salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry
  • Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations
  • Decoys
  • Scent lures provided they do not contain cervid urine
  • Chemical attractants provided they are not ingestible
  • Food plots planted within accepted local or regional agricultural guidelines

Where did you find this wording? It has changed since the commission vote.....

There is always a lot of talk about baiting on here. Can a veteran explain if we missed something and now corn and hay is not legal for 2013?

But apparently it is still legal to make salt licks?

Thats what I am saying... It is all too confusing... Its not like I prefer to use bait, but it helps me to see if I have any deer coming into a spot that I picked out. I work so much that I only have my weekends to hunt... So, IDK... I wish that there was something more clear, or maybe I am not understanding it all the way... For instance, I like using the "apple" sented buck jam... It seems to work well for me... But I was told by my boyfriend that a friend of his, who is a guide, said that Salt was the only thing you could put out anymore... So, thanks everyone for the info....I will read more into it. I appreciate the help....

Thats what I am saying... It is all too confusing... Its not like I prefer to use bait, but it helps me to see if I have any deer coming into a spot that I picked out. I work so much that I only have my weekends to hunt... So, IDK... I wish that there was something more clear, or maybe I am not understanding it all the way... For instance, I like using the "apple" sented buck jam... It seems to work well for me... But I was told by my boyfriend that a friend of his, who is a guide, said that Salt was the only thing you could put out anymore... So, thanks everyone for the info....I will read more into it. I appreciate the help....

salt and salt based products.......

no more apple buck jam...

James

This may have already been answered so I apologize if it has. Can Someone clarify if " by feeder,or feeding device,Etc.?" does this include a dump of corn a week bvefore season? I haven't baited myself but just curious?& no offense to baiters & non baiters just a question. :rolleyes:

I don't remember the last time I have hunted on public property and have not seen cattle, which, is about as agricultural as it gets in Arizona(I don't think they are talking dairy farms). Until I find a spot that the deer are not competing with cattle for browse and water, baiting will remain "legal".

I am confused also. The way I interrpret it. I think building a salt lick for deer would also be illegal:

"ingestible material that has been deposited, scattered, piled, or delivered by a passive or active feeder or feed delivery system so as to constitute an attractant, lure or enticement to wildlife and to influence the movement of these animals for the purpose of harvest by hunters."

The salt that is legal would be for cattle operations only. If you hunt an area with no cows and have a salt lick would it be legal to place salt? I would like clarification on this from G+F.