Coach

Questioning the afterlife

Snapshot-you ain't alone bruddah! That economy killed my business and we lost everything we had within a year. I had the same feeling then but just kept fighting to stay open. Finally getting better so glad we are still alive and kicking. Hang in there.

• Like 1

Coach,

I too have gone through periods of struggle in my life. Times when I just didn't feel anything. I have found that the Christian life is like hunting. Yep sure is!

Lets say that you drew a "Strip" deer tag. I am guessing that you would prepare by physical training, shooting your rifle and doing all the research that you could. When you arrived on the Strip, you would spend all daylight hours hiking and glassing. You would hunt with everything that you had, you would give it your all. When you finally shot a buck you would "feel" the success. This is real hunting!

I am guessing that you wouldn't after drawing a "Strip" deer tag, drive up opening day and road hunt hoping that a big buck walks across the road and stops 40 yards off the road and lets you shoot him. This is road hunting. This isn't you!

The Christian life is the same. The preparation is Bible reading, prayer and spending time with like-minded believers. If you go after your Christian life in the same way that you hunt, you will be successful. If you road hunt the Christian life you might not be successful.

Now I like the way you put that! Very nice.

OK - This does not sit well with road hunters who have a minature statue of Jesus mounted on their dash board!!!!!

Coach, I have felt that way many times. I know God wants us to "Be in the world, not of the world". To me, this means not placing greater emphasis on earthly things/events/ etc. but more on Spiritual stuff. We need to be aware/concerned of the stuff in our life, but not get worried. We need to develop spirtitually by reading his word and putting to practice everything we learn from him. This all is easier said than done, but if we place our worries/cares/concerns at the foot of the cross and continually ask for his guidance, he is faithful. Satan is the "great deciever" and is always looking to help us question God. Trust God and continue reading/praying and God will be faithful...............prayers will continually be sent for you and all the believers here on CW.................Allen...............

I want to thank each of you deeply for your responses here. There is so much wisdom in all of them - I really appreciate you all taking the time to share so much.

Coach, Try reading "a Look at Life from a Deer Stand. Hunting for the meaning of Life". It is by Steve Chapman. I know you find yourself in it. A very good read. He also has a devotional book.

• Like 2

All,

Some awesome comments and many are so true. I have also lived on both sides of the bench, but once you have a personal relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ. All thing things seem to make since, I agree reading the bible daily will truly makes a huge difference. Check out Sportsmen's daily devotional http://www.sportsmensdevotional.com/ it really helps everyday struggles and off the wall thoughts to keep us focused and allowing us to get into God's word. Another great suggestion was having some close Christian friends and going to church on regular bases. Make sure it is a good bible based church with no strings attached as we all live by grace through Jesus dying for all of our sins. If you ever just need to talk or ask crazy questions PM me, and I will do my best to give the truth.

Mike

• Like 1

26 years ago today i was knocked to the ground by a loaded rail car in the Morenci Mine. The last clear thought that went through my mind as I went under that car was "GOD PLEASE HELP ME". When the dust cleared I realized I wasn't in Heaven or heck, I was laying in a pile of rocks with my right leg missing. Never have believed that God has a plan for anybody. Was it Gods plan for that little Phoenix girl to be locked in a toolbox on her back porch to die? Sandy Hook?

With a church on every corner and a Bible that can be interpreted in a way that no one can agree on, what works for me is the pursuit of a personal relationship with God. I have faith, in a God that will be fair and just in the end. I don't like the feeling of letting him down when I sin, so I rarely pray for myself. I pray for the people involved in the wrecks I pass, for the safe passage of my children, and sometimes for the people on this web site that ask for it.

In the end I have faith to be judged by a God who saw my life as the guy who picked himself up, was not a societal sponge, tried to be a good husband and father, and was decent to other people.

I know the Bible says that "Good Works" doesn't count but It is what works for me, it is all that I am able to realistically believe in. I don't want to believe in a lord that will condemn me to burn with all the maggots in this world for not having the undying faith that "all I am is through the hands of Jesus Christ".

My choices were mine. My relationship with our Lord is mine also. It is what works for me.

single shot, I like what you had to say. I would like to add this: My God tells me "Faith without works is dead". For me, that means if I dont do those "good works" then I am not practicing what he wants. Good works wont get us into heaven, only accepting Jesus will, but "good works" are an important part of "living our faith"...........keep on keepin on.............AT............

I agree that becoming a part of an acountability group with some other guys and studying Gods word is simple but very effective as well as becoming a part of a church family. It's very evident in my own personal spiritual battles that I have within myself when I become distant from attending church or my small group. I would recommend the book "Wild at Heart" by John Eldridge as well. It was very helpful to me and helped me understand the feelings we as men of God have. I have read your posts in the past on here and I have a sense of what kind of person you are. I hope this helps a little

Coach,

Nothing wrong with feeling the way you are feeling. Just never forget who made you, who gives you life every day...and every day is a new begining. Have you ever had any problems before? Have you ever got in trouble? Have you ever been in a bad situation?Feel sad or depressed? You can think about those situations now, from some of those situations you were able to come out with the Lords help...from some others was the Lord pulling you out cause he saw you will not do it by your self.

The point is Coach it doesn't matter how bad or big the problem is...the Lord is Greater and more Powerful than any of those situations!

There are times when "things" come our way and He wants to see how we "dance in the rain" :)

Get together with friends, family or enjoy something you find rewarding. You'll be ok :) ...ah please before I forget...go out right now and buy your self and ice cream and enjoy it! :)

Ernesto C

P.S. If you ever come by Yuma...I'll buy you one..let me know :)

Another P. S. :) LOL try to help Amanda on the Womens Javelina Hunt..she needs mentors..I know you have lots experience and you'll find helping others very rewarding.

Guest 300ultramag.

great responses gentlemen. Each mans journey is unique and his own.

trials and suffering are part of it.

I need only look all around me to realize that there is a certain orderliness to this world and everything on it, as well as to the entire universe, and that this order could not happen randomly.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

TRUST THAT THE MOMENT YOU GET TO THE EDGE OF ALL YOU CAN DO,,, THAT WHICH IS GREATER THAN YOU WILL BE WITHIN YOU TO DO MORE.

I use this quote to get me through many things. I am not a religeous person and I was brought up with nothing or no one in my life who was. To this day I don't believe I have ever been around anyone who is. Over the years I have just kept it simple,,,live life every day the best you can. Honor those who came before you. Honor the life your given (where ever you believe it came from). Just be a good part of the world.

If you have a bad day just work hard to make the next one a little better. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it keeps me moving forward always.

A quick note on something my family did to better their lives:::

A few years ago we removed television from our lives. Simple like I said but I can tell you I know for a fact that we are better people for it. Every aspect of our lives became better.

The other simple thing is we don't own a microwave. We spend alot of time in the kitchen together as a family and of course we eat alot better. My kids know how to cook, clean, carry a conversation. Its amazing.

One last thought, Common sense will get you vary far in life. Simple common sense every day. And never forget that the glass is "always" half full.