Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

BUDGET MOUNTAIN HOUSE

FOR YOU BACKPACKERS OR CAMPERS WHO NEED A QUICK CHEAP MEAL. I MADE THIS UP AFTER SPENDING HUNDREDS ON MOUNTAIN HOUSE LAST YEAR. I USE IT CAMPING IN A TRAILER, PACKING MULES, AND BACKPACKING. IT GETS THE JOB DONE. ENJOY

Homemade Mountain house (2 servings)(dinner)

1 cup stove top stuffing

½ cup powdered milk

2/3 cup instant potato flakes

½ cup minute rice

1 cup dry roasted ademame (major protein)

Place ingredients in a Ziploc boil or microwave bag or seal in vacuum seal bag.

IN THE FIELD Add 2 ½ cups or 20 oz of boiling water and reseal for 10 to 15 minutes.

Average cost per bag is $1.50 mOUNTAINhOUSE = $5.99

Mix in a large bowl and split in 2 for individual servings.

Use 1 ¼ cups water for individual

LOADED WITH CARBS AND PROTEIN

IN THE WINTER TIME I ADD ¼ STICK OF MARGERIN FOR FAT AND CALORIES

Homemade Mountain house #2 (breakfast)

1 packet instant oatmeal (MAPLE BROWN SUGAR)

½ cup powdered milk

2/3 cup instant potato flakes

½ cup minute rice

1 table spoon margarine

2 tablespoons brown sugar

Place ingredients in a Ziploc boil or microwave bag or seal in vacuum seal bag.

Add 2 cups or 16 oz of boiling water and reseal for 10 to 15 minutes.

• Like 1

I quit carrying mountain houses, oatmeal & anything else that takes water, because I don't like carrying an extra 1/2 gallon (4 lbs.) of water. Now adays I just live on beef jerky & cheese sticks for dinner, poptarts or muffing for breakfast, pb&j for lunch & fill in the gaps with Clif bars & K bars.

I enjoy a bacon, peanut butter, and honey wrapped in a tortilla. Knew a guy that would take shots of olive oil for maximum calorie intake per gram of weight, that's a little to intense for my pallot but I enjoy the calorie wrap listed above.

Yeah carrying the extra water for cooking gets old especially after several days in the back country. MREs are great to carry. Pretty good too. Sometimes you get lucky and find a milkshake in one!

Agreed on the water, I carry mre as well depending on where I am. I know my areas and where water is so I carry freeze dried when there is water in deep. No water source and its mre. I have tried going lighter like matty but ended up bonking on the 3rd day. Lots of calories for me. Nice when the mules are along I will bring frozen steak precooked and set it in the sun. Yum 5 hrs later

All time favorite lunch after a long day hunting is sliced summer sausage, slices of bacon, pepper jack cheese, and spicy mustard all vacuum packed up on a fresh bagel. Hard to beat but the super bacon peanut butter burrito sounds like my new one!!!

Right on pack hunter I am going on a backpack trip this spring and will try your recipes out they sound good. Thanks for sharing! + 1 on anything with cheese it has a ton of calories per gram second to Olive oil.