Sign in to follow this  
Gary I

January Buck, Done for the Year

Did a 12 mile solo backpack hunt into the Mazatzal Wilderness area in the third week of the January archery deer season. On Sunday afternoon, I caught a buck circling a hot doe and was able to sneak in fairly close. I got lucky and he walked straight toward me and emerged from the trees at 20 yards, broadside!

I pulled my bow up, put my 30-yard pin on him (!!!) and watched my arrow sail harmlessly over his back. I could have kicked myself, sure the hunt was over. However, the buck ran out to 40 yards and stopped to look back and see what spooked him. The second arrow was already on its way.

I watched the arrow pass through him, but thought the shot was low. When I went to retrieve my arrow, I was was pleasantly surprised by a great blood trail. I only had to follow it 40 yards to find him piled up under a cedar tree. As it turns out, the shot wasn't low, after all.

Then came the work: he was a large-bodied deer. I boned him, bagged him and spent the night in the wilderness area. The next morning, it was a grueling pack back to the truck. I weighed my pack when I got home and it was 93 pounds. He was a hard-earned trophy but worth every ounce of effort. He scored 97". He has six points on the left and five on the right.

post-1822-0-20782600-1361415673_thumb.jpg

post-1822-0-91375500-1361415685_thumb.jpg

post-1822-0-49808700-1361415707_thumb.jpg

post-1822-0-53420700-1361415718_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow what a great deer! A back pack trip into the Matazels sounds like a great time!

Congrats on that nice deer!

Easy to mis judge the range and shoot over these smaller WT species. I have also done that twice but was given a second chance and made good.

Solo bivi spot and stalk bow hunting for coues deer has to be right up there on anyones bucket list and you pulled it off.

Congrats on a well executed hunt and a great trophy. Also enjoy a great meal of grilled tenderloins.

PS. what time is dinner? Paul

Congrats again Gary. You definately get it done stalking coues with a bow year after year.

Awesome buck, solo hunt in the Mazatzal sounds like it would be a blast, congrats!