Sign in to follow this  
87lc

Two down plus a question

My brother and I went out, 30 mins into it and we find pigs. Two quick shots, two pigs down. After we get to them we hear some screaming. We think maybe one is wounded. Turns out it's a baby. This is the second time it has happened to us. The first time a few years ago the baby wouldn't come close to us and looked older. This time the baby would come right up to us. If we scratched the ground it would come running to us. It looked days old, still had an umbilical cord, well it looked like one dragging. We both shot boars so its mom was somewhere. We thought about picking it up and taking it to GF and see what they would do. In the end we left it there and never touched it, hoping its mom would find it. What would you have done? It was a cute little guy.

post-2092-0-41575600-1361850497_thumb.jpg

I think you did the right thing by leaving it. Its mom or another pig will come back and take care of it.

Definitely did the right thing, congrats on the kills too

About 20 years ago, I came across a little red like that and bent down to kidnap and raise the little critter. It instantly threw up all of its hair and began popping its tiny teeth at me and I thought it was goining to take off my fingertip! I wisely backed down and a vain 170 pound teenager was completely schooled by a miniscule 1-2 pound piglet!

glad it was boars for you.

Can't say with 100% certainy, just been told by a couple biologists, javelina are very social and will adopt orphans. Pretty sure it will work for weaned pigs but not for one still on the boob.

Adobe Mtn Wildlife Rehab has had a few little red's, my daughters got to bottle feed them till they were farmed out elsewhere.

Congratulations on your boars. Like everyone else said, you did the right thing. Moma will be back. I've ran off moma before and an hour later moma was back for her baby. :)

TJ