Sign in to follow this  
200shootr

Sizing Die Question

I have .308 hornady dies and a Lee breech lock press, per the instructions that came with the dies it states to screw down the die until it touches the shell holder, I did that and then resized 25 rounds and loaded every single piece of brass. I tried them in my rifle and the bolt wouldn't close. I ended up cranking the die another 1 1/4 turns down and they now fit my rifle.. Is this normal with the hornady dies on a lee press?

You should have to go down til the die touches the shell holder, then 1/4 turn. Test it in your rifle and go a quarter turn at a time. I don't think you needed to go down as much as you did but I don't know your gun?

• Like 1

I'd recommend getting the Hornady Lock-n-load Headspace gauge. It allows you to measure the case length off of the shoulder. First measure a case that was fired in your chamber, then set-up your sizing die to bump the shoulder back .002". This will give you the clearance needed to easily close your bolt but make sure that your cases are not being overworked each time you size them. Should give you longer case life and possibly better accuracy.

Most loading manuals will tell you to have your resizing die touching your shell holder. The problem with that is the fact that your chamber might have a fit that measures 0 headspace according to SAAMI specs, then you run your case into the die touching your shell holder and it bumps your shoulder back lets say 10 thousands, every time you fire that case in your gun the web of the case will stretch and it won't be to long before you have a head case seperation, last thing you need ecpecially when hunting. RCBS makes a precision mic to measure headspace that is alittle pricey and hornady makes one that is reasanable. I bump my shoulder back two thousands and it definetly saves brass. If that brass was fired in your gun and then ran through a die and wouldn't chamber, something isn't right. Looks like kwp posted while I was writing this!

• Like 1