Sign in to follow this  
youngbuck

sighting in problems

i mounted a swaro 6-18x50 av series on a rem 700 300rum. i am using 2 part leupold bases and high leupold rings. the scope has a total of 3.9 ft elevation adjustment. at 100 yards the bullets hit about 9 inches bellow bulseye, thats at the max elevation adjustment. i know sometimes on rare occasions shims need to be made. i tore everything down and remounted it and shot it again with the same results. ive never had this problem and have mounted plenty of scopes. i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you replaced bases or rings or made shims. -ryan

welcome the world of 50mm scopes. you can cut up a pop can and make some shims, but it will just make it hit lower. the higher you raise the scope, the lower you're gonna hit. do you have any room between the scope and the barrel? if you do and it is somewhat substantial, get some lower rings. i'm surprised that a high dollar scope like that doesn't have more adjustmant in it. the higher your scope sits, the less elevation adjustmant you have. one other thing, and i ain't bein' sarcastic, are you sure you're adjusting it the right way? i've seen a lot of guys get all backassward and cornfused when sighting a gun in. on all of the older scopes, the adjustmant arrows showed which way you were moving the reticle, which is 180 degrees from what it's doing to the point of impact. i only have one 50mm scope, on a target rifle, and i had problems with it too. Lark.

I also had a guy that brought me a gun that he could not get to adjust the right way. I have done many guns and scopes for people. I shot this thing for about an hour and could not get it to zero in right. Then i sat down and looked at it closer. He had the up and down for the right and left, And vise versa. I do not know if this could be the case or not. I do agree with 270. that taller rings can screw you up a bit as well. Ar you trying to keep your open sites or do you just like taller scope mounting.

Well some how i deleted my post to lark in trying to reply to arizona guide so ill try again. My rings need to be that high to clear the barrel, i tried the mediums first. I want too try and shim the back base, but then i think i am using Leupold and Swarovski and Reminginton products. Swaro and leupold are pretty darn good for manufacturing with low tollarances. Swaro and Leupold make there produsts so that i should not need shims. Remington should know a thing or two about low tollerences, i mean heck the build rifles. But i know very well that shi* happens. I am adjusting the elevation correctly, it started off 16-18 inches low and i corrected it to 9 inches low with max elevation adjustment. That was the first thing i thought of. The scope is mounted correctly in that the reticle is sitting correctly and not 90 deg. off. I have mounted 50+ mm scopes before with no problem. -Ryan

With the Burris Signature rings, you can order offset inserts to correct the problem.

You might put on a different set of rings and bases to see if the problem remains, if the problem might be with them.

Or perhaps the barrel is not aligned with the action, as on my Winchester. Then the Burris Signatures would be the way to go.

Doug~RR

anything to do with shims will just make it shoot lower. i can't hardly believe that a high dollar scope only has about 9" of elevation adjustment. i'd be taking it to whoever i bought the scope from and gettin' my money back. i said earlier that i only had one 50mm scope. i forgot that the last rifle i bought, a model 70 .264 mag, has a 50mm weaver on it. it has high rings and it has enough space under the scope that mediums might work. i was afraid that i wouldn't have enough adjustment, but it has a bunch left over. it also has leupold rings and bases. how many clicks did it go before it bottomed out? one other thing to look at. (i'm not sayin' your ignernt or anything, but i've seen this happen) some rifles take a higher rear base than front base, in order to level things out because of differences in the action height, from the front to the rear. ya didn't get confused and vice versa the bases did ya? usually the holes don't line up anyway, but i'm real perplexed as to why this thing won't work. some scopes are built real heavy, and swarovsky is about as heavy as they get. there is so much more metal in the tube and the front adjustmants, that the overall outside diameter of the scope is much more than some other scopes. is it a 30mm tube? there's gotta be a problem somewhere, i'm thinking. shimming up the back isn't a good idea unless it's the only option. with the tight tolerances of leupold rings, there's a real chance you can bend the tube when you tighten it all up.

If you are using the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts, they have a front base and rear base for some models of rifles. One base is usually higher than the front one. Mix them up and you will have a problem similar to yours.

If you are using the regular Leupold mounts, with the windage adjustment on the rear base, it's hard to mix those up. :huh:

Try mounting a different scope, even if it's not a 50mm, see if you can get it on the paper. If you can, it's probably something wrong with the bases/rings.

Also, if you don't get those Leupold rings lined up square or if you over tighten them, you can screw up the scope real bad.

I tighten the rings down too tight on a Zeiss last year and screwed it up. :(

I am using the windage adjustment bases, its a 1 inch tube. i also checked to see if the scope was wearing anywhere, and it wasn't, i also looked at the rings and they weren't wearing anywhere oddly either. The scope has 188 elevation clicks (it actually has 210, i counted) and says a total of 3.9 feet adjustment, a little under two feet each way i am also thinking that for some reason my rifle may need a different bases. Thanks for all the help guys it just frustrates the heck out of me that i can't figure it out.-Ryan

i have the same gun with a swar. 6x24x50 on it the outdoors man put the scope on with low rings, it clears the barrel by about a 16th of an inch but it works fine.

if you are shooting low when max'd out, the front of the scope is a tiny bit higher than the rear

look very closely and see if there is anything causing that, I just mounted a scope with Leupold QD rings, the base has a lever with a bar thru the base held in place with a roll pin, the pin was just a tiny bit too long and that lifted the ring up a tiny bit, 1 minute with a dremel tool fixed it.

but if there is a burr of metal on the receiver or the base that lifts it up higher than it should be, you are effectively (but poorly) shimming it the wrong way.

if the receiver, bases or rings are out of spec and rise the scope then get a new set or shim them the other way.

if you mount a scope 90 degrees offset, with the up/down knob on the left and the left right knob on the top, you get the text (and ballistic reticle) screwed up (as described by another poster) but that is sometimes done by lefties and target shooters who don't want the knob over the loading port. Target scopes often have removable knobs so you can decide which to put where, I don't think this is your issue.

oh wait.... if you are off by 9" plus the 24"(half the adjustment range) you are off by nearly 3' when centered. if you divide the range (300 feet) be the ring spacing (1/2 foot) you get about 600 times as much bullet hole movement as scope base movement... I'm too tired to calculate it, so I might be off by a factor of 1000 but I thinks its about 1/16" way more than just a burr, are you sure you have the same size rings for both? are you sure the bases are really for your gun? (winchester bases on a rem?) are you sure you did not get a special 20 degree offset base that long range target shooters use?

my brother once bought a gun that shot way way low, we boresighted the old fashioned way, pulled the bolt out and looked down the bore, ... the barrel was BENT!

you should be able to rest in on sandbags, look at the target thru the barrel and thru the scope and line it up within inches, if it is as far off as you say and I think i just calculated you should be able to see the problem

hope this helps

Poole

http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/

if you can't finger it out, try a different scope, different bases & rings or take it out to Derrick at Rio Salado.

Poole

well i finnaly got it fixed. in took the rifle to the outdoorsman. they set it up on the boresighter. THey replaced the leopold rings and bases with brand new rings and bases, same model #'s. It was still way off for elevation. they then re-zeroed the scope to center and tried talley ring base combo (the ring and base is in one piece, one for the front and one for the back) part no. 950700. the height was adjusted 4 clicks and the windage 3 to bore sight it. i went to the range and my first shot was dead center 1.5 inches low, a made my adjustments and now i'm between about 2.5 and 3 inches hight at 100 (should be dead on at 300). I never had to move my windage knob. That should make the rest of the lines pretty close to 4, 5, 6, and 7. I am really impressed with the talley setup and am going to use their products on as many of my future rifles as i can. THanks for all the help guys. -Ryan