Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

"Stubby", The Tail-less Coues Deer! ("Stub" pic added)

Hey all, here's another short video I just put together. You all might find this one a little crazy but it really happened, his tail gets perfectly shot off! Fortunately the buck was quickly relocated and taken with a great shot but unfortunately in the chaos, that part didn't get filmed. Stubby was a great buck and the hunter was very happy with em'!

This same hunter killed 4 bucks with us between 102"-118"... all in less than 1 year! Thanks for checkin it out, more to come! JIM>

Details: The guide and hunter snuck in as close as they could because there was a strong crosswind. The shot was 455 yards and the hunter didn't hold far enough into the wind, blowing the shot off course. They then relocated him, snuck in closer to 350 yards and held better for the wind making a perfect shot.

Lesson: Practice with your hunting rifles in windy conditions to become familiar with how wind affects your bullet and learn to judge wind speed and keep a cheat sheet handy!

Here's a closer up look at what happened. The buck was quartering to the shot and the impact was not as far off as it appears in the video. With the quartering angle, the bullet hit the front side of the back hip and came out taking the tail with it.

IMG_2528_zps1a8ecf75.jpg

pm sent :)

TJ

Great buck and what are the odds of shooting off the tail! It would make a cool story on the big one that didnt get away!

That is freaking crazy! One in a million shot, good thing he was able to seal the deal later on. I need a picture of the "stub"!!

you asked for it... Watch your text messages.

Thanks Casey for not posting your "stub" here!

Thanks Casey for not posting your "stub" here!

Now that's funny :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

TJ

Kevin, unfortunately they didn't take any good pictures of that buck. The only pics they took were with the cheap video cam that was used and as you can see in the video those pics were very grainy and blurry. The hunter did snap a pic of the deer laying there with his cell phone and you can kinda see the "stub", I'll post that. JIM>

I added the cell phone pic of the "stub" to top of the thread