Sign in to follow this  
Tinesup

Over Scoring

I haven't decided yet but the first hunter to use a tape measure to "score" his "trophy" or determine the "quality" of his hunt either will be beheaded or drawn and quartered when I am king.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

There was a time that scores meant a lot to me, but those days are long gone. I have seen some ugly big deer and beautiful little ones. Now I decide to shoot or not based on how I feel about the situation. Usually a good day with friends and family will be a bigger factor than the score.

Before this season I told myself that I won't mount any deer under 105. Well my daughter and I each shot beautiful bucks that were well short of that number, but they ended up at the taxidermists shop.

It is the score of the memories that counts, not the score of the antlers.

• Like 2

I typically under judge animals... I guess when I get them on the ground it sometimes works out to be a delightful surprise when I run a tape on them.

I was fishing at Big Lake a few years back and caught the biggest Trout I had ever caught. I don't know what the thing weighed but it must have been a lot because when I got the picture of the fish back the picture weighed 5 pounds B)

YES I do try to kill the biggest animal I find, but now that I am 43, I am finding what leads up to and after the kill makes the most "chest puffing, head held high" moments. If it scores good that is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

Tape stretching and lying about score starts a chain reaction and then the next guy's trying to keep up, pretty soon the first liar doesn't stand a chance.

Wouldn't it be tape shrinking? If the tape got bigger the score would actually be lower. I think this is what I have been doing on all my coues deer.

• Like 1

I score my critters by how much of their flesh fills my freezer.

Another bonus to big antlered animals is they generally have bigger bodies and fill your freezer faster! I learned that on my very first coues hunt!

I took a pic of my freezer the other day after putting my javelina sausage and venison bratwurst and other items in it.....it's pretty full right now! Certainly not all of it is game meat, but the most highly prized meat is! :)

post-1-0-25102300-1362932001_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Amanda, I hope you wrote down what's in the bottom. I went thru my 3 freezers last week and tossed out over 100lbs of old meat some back 10yrs. It killed me to do that.

TJ

• Like 1

I don't worry about score, the big ones always seem to get away.

Now let me tell you about the monster trout I lost in Montana 2 years ago.....It was at least 10 pounds.....I swear! ;)

• Like 2

Amanda, I hope you wrote down what's in the bottom. I went thru my 3 freezers last week and tossed out over 100lbs of old meat some back 10yrs. It killed me to do that.

TJ

I didn't, but I got through it often enough to know what's in there. There are baskets in there to help organize and much of the space is taken up with a turkey tail and wings and frozen water bottles that are always ready to go for cooler when camping.

If I ever find something that's freezer burned, then I cook it up for the dogs. Haven't had much problem with that though.

TJ

I didn't, but I got through it often enough to know what's in there. There are baskets in there to help organize and much of the space is taken up with a turkey tail and wings and frozen water bottles that are always ready to go for cooler when camping.

If I ever find something that's freezer burned, then I cook it up for the dogs. Haven't had much problem with that though.

Your dogs would eat good either way, scraps or freezer burned!!

Thanks peeps.

Are you saying this buck is way over scored Mathews? If so I agree with you. Nice big buck but not 150.This is one of the cases I was talking about and Im talking more about the professionals over scoring not the newbies.

Thanks peeps.

Are you saying this buck is way over scored Mathews? If so I agree with you. Nice big buck but not 150.This is one of the cases I was talking about and Im talking more about the professionals over scoring not the newbies.

Lol the best part is how adamant he is about it being 150.. He deleted my comments on the video lol

• Like 1