Sign in to follow this  
DotShot

The time has come!

Well at long last it begins anew, hunting season has all but arrived and i begin my quest on Monday. Myself, my older brother and his friend all have archery elk hunts up at Camp Navajo (Bellemont). They have cow tags, and I an "any elk" tag. We'll be arriving there on Saturday to do a little last minute scouting prior to opening day (Monday). I've never hunted elk with a bow and i am stoked beyond belief. After a 10 year hiatus from bowhunting i picked up a bow last year and the first day i went out was lucky enough to take a small 3x2 muley, and gentlemen thats all it took, archery has now moved to the top of my list as I know whther i draw a rifle tag or not, i can always buy an over the counter deer tag and chase muleys rutting in December, and Coues rutting in Jan and fellas, you cant beat that. Any how, wish me luck and hopefully i'll have pictures and a story by weeks end next week. :D

Leaving tomarrow also for Colorado and I cannot wait. Less than 18 Hours.

Redman

Well at long last it begins anew, hunting season has all but arrived and i begin my quest on Monday. Myself, my older brother and his friend all have archery elk hunts up at Camp Navajo (Bellemont). They have cow tags, and I an "any elk" tag. We'll be arriving there on Saturday to do a little last minute scouting prior to opening day (Monday). I've never hunted elk with a bow and i am stoked beyond belief. After a 10 year hiatus from bowhunting i picked up a bow last year and the first day i went out was lucky enough to take a small 3x2 muley, and gentlemen thats all it took, archery has now moved to the top of my list as I know whther i draw a rifle tag or not, i can always buy an over the counter deer tag and chase muleys rutting in December, and Coues rutting in Jan and fellas, you cant beat that. Any how, wish me luck and hopefully i'll have pictures and a story by weeks end next week. :D

I have a good friend that works at the depot, and cant wait for season to begin. He has a bull tag later on, but will be up there helping some friend in the next few weeks. He was out this weekend and saw some bulls that just rubbed their velvet off. Good luck on your hunt. I actually went with him a few weeks ago and counted about 25-300 elk. So there are plenty of opportunities.

twoguns

Well so much for that, no success as of yet. We got up there on Saturday and after we got camp set up decided to go look around. AS the rain was falling the elk were very active, we saw 10 bulls, nothing overly large (one really decen 6x7), and about 20 cows. Sunday we saw about half that many and monday i saw 2 elk as they ran away! We also saw 6 really nice mule deer bucks, the smallest of which was a decent 3x2 and the largest a 5x4 that was probably a 160-170 calss buck, why didnt i shoot it you may be asking, because i didnt have one of the Camp Navajo deer permits (they issued 24 this year). I may try again this weekend but if not i will definately be down in 36C chasing mulies with the bow. I did manage a couple of pictures of one little bull and three of the mule deer although the deer pictures are from a distance and hard to make out the racks, i will post htem when i get home from work this evening.