Sign in to follow this  
ccran

Looking for a new pack

I'm looking for suggestions on a new pack for this year. I know there are many good ones out there. Must have atleast 4500cubic inch capacity, and hydration compatable. Who has pro's or con's on internal or external frames. I looking to pack into the back country this year for archery season and get it done the hard way. I have a Badlands and I'm not really impressed with it. Anyone ever use the Outdoorsman???

• Like 1

I use the Outdoorsmans optics pack and do NOT have 1 complaint!!! Ive been through 2 different badlands packs and they dont come close to the optics pack!! I have always liked the external type frame packs compared to the internal. The internal framed packs just never ride right when you actually load it down and pack out some meat!! I highly recommend the Outdoorsmans pack!!

• Like 1

I purchased the Badlands Ox this last year and absolutely love it.

I never thought I would go away from my Eberlestock, but the external frame is amazing. You can remove the pack if you want to or you can keep the pack on and utilize the frame.

• Like 1

I have had my Badlands Hypervent repaired twice for broken zippers and buckles, due to overloading it. Bigger pack is a must. Outdoorsman and OX are both high on my list. They are both priced roughly the same, Is there anywhere I can go and actually put my hands on the Outdoorsman prior to purchasing. My local Gila Outdoors has an OX on the rack, and I do like it.

Outdoorsmans is a great pack, albeit heavy. Kuiu packs are very nice and much lighter weight, but don't exactly have a perfect pocket if your spotter is 80mm. My only real complaint with Kuiu pack.

Guest akaspecials

It may be a little larger than you are looking for, but I have an Eberlestock V90 Battleship and love it. I haven't packed an elk quarter in it yet, but I have carried 100lbs loads of salt and it rides great! The construction and materials are flawless. I'm very happy with it.

I bought it from Santana Outdoors which I'm pretty sure is a site sponsor. Eric was great with helping me out. I would suggest checking them out for packs.

I like my eberlestock operator pack. A bit heavy at 9lbs dry but fits everything!! Has the oversized scabord that will fit any gun. Side pockets will fit large tripods and spotters. Has 2 bladder ports along with options of side pouches for more. The back padding is very breathable so not a lot of heat stays on ur back or lower back.

I have a badlands Ox pack and think its great. Only complaint is dry weight is a little heavy but if your looking for A pack you can carry extreme loads with and need plenty of space for gear on the spike camp hunts you can't go wrong. I've personally carried out loads over 160lbs and had no issues just take my time and march it out. My pack for my regular hunts loaded is usually between 45 and 50lbs. And then throw the rifle or bow And a whole field dressed whitetail on and you got a serious load and its not a bit of an issue. I've also carried out a whole Muley buck (small buck) but the deer weighed 135 field dressed. Granted it was only about a mile hike but I don't have a bad thing to say about the Ox. The outdoorsmans pack is one bad pack as well. Can't go wrong with either.

Thank you all for the great tips. I think the OX has my name all over it.

I found the pack I have been looking for. I would like to thank Jay, Tyler, and Max from Gila Outdoors in Thatcher for the hard work and putting up with my million questions. The new Blacks Creek Remedy 7 Solution, and Hilleberg Soulo tent are awesome. The Kifaru Slick bag will be delivered in May. For those who have not been to Gila Outdoors, you owe yourself a trip to check it out.

I am not a huge fan of badlands. I have had to sent my pack in three times. The last time I sent it in was for the zipper breaking on one of the side pockets during my elk hunt. I also pointed out holes in the material around the waist belt, holes in the mesh material pocket that holds my tripod, and 4 or 5 zippers that had broken off which I had replaced with string. The zipper was fixed and was just fine. Their fix for the holes starting in the padding around the waste belt was to put hot glue on it. They fixed the hole in the mesh by looping a bunch of string through it and tying it off. I guess they fixed the pack, but for paying twenty some bucks for shipping I think I will try to "fix" the pack myself the next time I have a problem with it. Next time I am looking to blow some money I think I will try an Eberstock.

The new Blacks Creek packs have been completely redesigned with new fabrics, YKK zippers, and military grade hardware. Blacks Creek ownership split last year or so, with one guy starting Tenzing (backed by Plano), and the other keeping Blacks Creek but creating the R7 brand that all of their gear is moving toward. The R7 packs use the same idea as the MR packs, with a solid frame (Grip Frame... like the MR NICE Frame) and exchangeable bags to fit different needs. And they're now built entirely in Idaho, instead of overseas. They're really great packs for backpack hunters.

We appreciate you letting us get you geared up ccran. We look forward to hearing about your adventures this year.