Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Unit 9 Guide

My brother with 18 points finally pulled a unit 9 Muzzleloader Elk tag. It was the only thing he put on his application so it is what it is. He doesn't have a lot of time to scout and we also pulled two archery tags in another unit. After waiting since he was 12, he wants the biggest bull ever. (don't we all) I know we could kill a 350-360 bull with any guide service and by ourselves most likely, but he wants to hire someone to help out. Who would you hire? Here is my list: (not in any order)

Jim Mullins

McClendon

Mossback

Chad Smith-Vaquero

Steve Chappell-is he in unit 9? I think he's only on the other side of the state.

Jay Scott and Dar Colburn

I know a few of these are sponsors on here and I know that both Colburn/Scott, Chappell and Mullins do a clean respectable job. I have no experience with Vaquero or Mclendon. Who produces the top end bulls? It's gunna be a fun fall.

You should check out Matt Shimberg at Arizona Strip Bucks. Serious about only the biggest baddest and has a couple different options available! Straight up nicest and honest guy I know in the outfitting business!

Anybody but Mossback or USO. ;)

• Like 1

i have hunted with Mossback AZ 2 times. nothing but class!!!!!!

Jay Lopeman and his team is second to none. I hunted with them in 10 a couple years ago, this team is ALWAYS putting their hunters on huge bulls. I cant imagine anyone else putting more into their clients success.

Mossback is my vote !!!!!

I know Jim is dieing to chime in and say pick me!!!! I will say that there isn't a better guide in Arizona. Jim Mullins is the man when it comes to unit 9 or any elk unit IMHO. Guy knows his #@** and always produces giant bulls. I am pretty sure he has a tree house in unit 9 that he spends over 5 months out of the year in.

+1 for Mullins

thanks for the responses guys. I'm swamped with finals right now. Once they are over tomorrow I will send a few pm's out. I would like to talk to a few of you. Those of you that pm'd me, I will contact you tomorrow as well. Carry on with the experiences. Thanks

You might want to give Randy Elmer a call as well.

http://www.elmerguideservice.com/

Went to school with his older son Chad and still share hunting photos. His younger son Colton got a 402" bull in one of the most difficult areas in the whole state with an OTC tag.

Randy will give you a straight forward answer about hunt availability and what type of bull to expect.

My top 2 choices would be Randy or McClendon based on what I have seen them do over the years. I might be biased though since they are both from where I live :) Seriously though any of the guides recommended so far are great. I would call them and try to get a feel for their personalities and styles; this is going to play more of a role in getting a nice bull than you might think.

By the way this site is awesome, glad I made an account finally.

I have had many experiences with Jim and Matt Mullins. These are guys that put their early rifle/muzzy clients on monster bulls and 9 is there bread and butter year after year. Their record on early 9 hunts speaks for it self, it is not why I chimed in. I put my vote in for Jim and Matt because I know first hand how they treat average hunters while out in the field. They have the utmost respect for others in the the field and still manage to take jaw dropping bulls. I know this, because I was the other guy not once but twice hunting similar areas as them and they were considerate and even went out of there way to me each time I saw them.

What a great tag, good luck to you guys and don't let the stress of that many BPs take the fun out of your hunt!

Crossing my fingers I got the 9 archery bull tag! The cc got hit. Won't know till the results come out. If I did my hunt will be all DIY but All the guides you listed will do you a 100% job. another one to consider is Marvin James out of flagstaff area. Guy always has monster bulls on tap every year! Good luck to your brother I hope he whacks a giant!

• Like 2