CouesWhitetail

I love Julie!! Look what she found this time :)

Did you hear alot of gobbling while there

We heard none :( but we must not have been in a good area for turkeys because we didn't see any sign either. Oh wait, actually, that's not true there were several gobblers in ramsey canyon and a few were gobbling. I didn't see them, but some friends did.

awesome find Julie!! that buck has to be over 100 inches right? also i thought if the horns were still brown and it still has hair and hide attached to it that it can't be that old correct? just curious what are the legalities of this? did you just take it home with you? did you have to contact g&f and have them come out there to do an investigation???

awesome find Julie!! that buck has to be over 100 inches right? also i thought if the horns were still brown and it still has hair and hide attached to it that it can't be that old correct? just curious what are the legalities of this? did you just take it home with you? did you have to contact g&f and have them come out there to do an investigation???

You can call AGFD and get the details on the regulation, but basically if it's not fresh, they aren't interested in it. This one was definitely not fresh. I believe the reason they want fresh kills reported is to see if they can determine cause of death in case the animal was poached. That piece of hide was mummified leather. It can last a very long time that way.

Nice to see there's some nice bucks in there. How's the deer herd since the fire? Still pretty good? Used to hunt down there a while back and have been wanting to get back down there. Used to hunt on the Portal side.

I used to do owl surveys in the Huachucas and I found some of my best Coues sheds there! Nice job, Julie!

As far as the legalities of what you can pick up, I don't know Amanda personally (we have several mutual friends, though), but I know she knows what the rules are and she's right. I've seen skeletons down there that still had leathery hide, but were obviously years old. Great find! Of course, now you've got me missing the Huachucas!

That's a great find. My 4 fat labs only find food we drop in the kitchen.

Ditto

Only if I get them to find sheds for me Like they find dropped food on the floor

Oh, cool. I'm going spotting in one of the canyons early tomorrow morning. That gives me another idea for something to do if I don't find any animals to look at - hadn't even thought about looking for sheds. :D