StanB

Arizona Unit 27 Archery Elk

Looks like my credit card got charged by AZ, my first choice was for Archery Elk in Unit 27. :D

I've never hunted in there before and would appreciated any input regarding elk numbers, hunter numbers / density, effects of the Wallow fire, 2013 moisture so far, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Stan

• Like 1

I was up there the last 2 years. I can't speak to moisture this year, but I think it was better last year since most areas from the fire were open. Lots of hunters in the popular areas and hard to get away from roads. Go where the other hunters wont go and you'll find the elk. :D Hopefully more undergrowth in the burn areas...pretty open and made for a tough stalk. The barley slopes were very noisy too.

Good luck!

just wondering when it was hit/charged...

Have hunted in 27 quite a bit over the years, but not since the fire. Have you hunted there before? Overall, you should be able to find bulls, but will need to change tactics somewhat given there are areas that won't "recover" in our lifetime.

Forget anything you may have known about 27, or even 1. The fire rewrote all the rules. Bedding areas, feeding areas, and travel routes have changed.

The North part of the unit holds a lot of animals but draws the most pressure. As you move South, you will find less people, but the country becomes much more severe.

Put miles on a good pair of boots and you will figure it out. Post some pics along the way.

All the previous posts on right on. Very true that everything has changed since the fire...... all the behaviors both prior to the hunt and also during the rut. During the hunt the last two years it seems the herds push significantly more due to the hunting pressure and less cover areas now available due to the fire. If you know the area or have someone that does know the area real well it is a big advantage. You then can benefit from all the hunting pressure and others efforts (moreso than prior to the fire).

Wohoo!!

2 years in a row for this tag!!

if it is 1/2 as good this year as it was last year,

it will be incredible!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

I guided a hunter from Pennsylvania last year during the archery #27 hunt. The horn quality was the greatest I had seen in 40 years. We got into a few herds with bulls in the +400 class. After flinging his crooked arrows at 5 different bulls my hunter finally harvested a 9x7 that scored 382. Congrats to all that were lucky enough to draw a tag this year. Hopefully the horn quality will be equally as good as last year. We will need precipitation within the next two weeks for that to ocur.

That is the tag I have started to build my points for. Curious to know how many you had going into the draw this year to pick that tag up if you care to share that info. I went in with 6 this year and that was my first choice.

I got the early archery 27bull with 7 points as well. I missed one year so lost loyalty and bonus. Should have been at 9 points but the 7got it done

StanB...PM replied to.

GJMauro12

I drew last year with 7 points (5 points +1 hunter ED point + Loyalty point)

And I drew the tag again this year with my hunter ed and loyalty points= 2

I guess I got pretty lucky =)

Jeff

StanB...PM replied to.

GJMauro12

I drew last year with 7 points (5 points +1 hunter ED point + Loyalty point)

And I drew the tag again this year with my hunter ed and loyalty points= 2

I guess I got pretty lucky =)

Jeff

Yup. It always just come down to the luck of the draw and anything can happen. But its looking like 7 points should give me a pretty good chance.

So I drew the same tag. I feel really lucky as it was my first choice and I only had 2 bonus points built up, as well as I missed the original deadline and luckily put in during the extended couple of days that Game and Fish gave! I'm probably going to get a few people cursing me for that but I understand how lucky I was!

I've hunted 27 and 1 during the late rifle hunt with my brother and Dad previously but never the archery hunt. Really excited and can't wait to get out there and start looking. Good luck to all.

Greg

• Like 1