Sign in to follow this  
Alpinebullwinkle

Elk Draw Question

I have admittedly been ridiculously lucky drawing 19 bull tags in the last 40 years of applications. Better than anyone I know (no tag the last two years though). In contrast my brother has been equally unfortunate and drawn only 4 resident bull tags in the same 40 years. Additionally I have been keeping family and close hunting buddy statistics on the draw for all those years and noticed that those in our circle that do not have a hunter safety bonus point draw a considerably lower percentage of the time (my brother has the lowest percentage and no hunter safety). Has anyone else noticed the same phenomenon with those with hunter safety drawing success better than those without? It almost seems to me (from our statistics) like the hunter safety bonus point counts more than 1-point equal value in the selection process?

Additionally I have had a statistician investigate opportunities to tighten up the bell curve which would maintain the integrity of the current process by keeping the element of luck to draw every year, but also making it more fair with the bonus point impact. For some reason that has never been explained to me why AGFD is not interested to enhance the process accordingly. Maybe because many hunters favor the current system of mostly luck and minimal bonus point impact. Seems like an enhanced system with slightly less luck and more bonus point impact would be desirable to all but for some reason it apparently is not. This comes up every year this time but without more interest there likely will be no favorable changes. Food for thought and maybe more discussion.

I have a hunter Ed point, and I have not been so lucky in the draw.

Curious what your statistician came up, I believe if we square the points, all is taken care of. It is the sheer number of people in the lower bonus point groups that skews the draw results and makes it not seem fair as the higher point holders tend to not draw the majority of tags (which would seem more "fair").

Hunter ed, and loyalty points and have only drawn 2 cow tags in 9-10 years and counting... wife drew her first time out with no points

We were just talking about this yesterday. I got my 1st bull elk at age 26. And now in the last 22 years I have shot 4 bulls and 6 cows. And have helped my son get 3 and my girl get 1. I can't complain....

I have a hunter ed point and I've drawn 5 tags in about 30 years of draws - no premium hunts. I like your theory, ABW, and I'd like it even better if it worked for me ;) but I wouldn't put any money on it. I think the system is fine as is, but I do hope it tilts in my favor for a while. Tough to be a very good hunter when you only get to try it every few years.

I have a loyalty pt, hunter ed point, and seem not to go more than 3 years without getting drawn( late rifle). What I have notice that was kinda stated above was that it seems like people when they put in for the first time get drawn. I have been drawn 3 times in 6 years, each time I was drawn had a first timer on my tag.

No first timer on my tag this year no draw. Anyone else seen this similarity?

This might be a dumb question but what is a loyalty point and how do you get it?

A loyalty point is an extra bonus point. You get a loyalty point if you put in for a species for 5 consecutive years. If you fail to put in for one year you lose your loyalty point and have to start the process over again

I have a hunter Ed point and loyalty point and have been very happy with the tags I have had. Not sure how many cow tags i've had but I have drawn 5 Bull tags in 7 years. one was a left over though.

I have the hunter ed point and bave been teaching hunter ed for the last 12 years and have only drawn 2 bull and 2 cow tags in the last 40 years. last year being a early archery bull tag in unit 1.

I think they need to increase the bonus point pass to 40% from 20% to start stabilizing and/or bringing down some of the wait times.

DCM

• Like 1

I think they should do away with max point pool altogether and go to prefrance points where the most points draw the tags, every body would get more tags quicker

I have the hunter safety point. I've drawn 2 bull tags in my 23 years I've been able to apply. And only one was a high demand tag. My wife does not have a hunter safety point and she has had 5 or 6 bull tags in the past 15 years with 4 of those years only applying for points.

I say do away with the bonus point system all together!!....Luck of the draw!!....I don't care about the whining of those UNLUCKY soles who like to pitch a fit year in and year out about not getting drawn for bull. Oh and by the way, the bitching comes from those who put in for early rifle, muzzleloader or archery hunts in premium units.

Bonus points just give them more reason to complain.......do away with it. If you are unlucky then tough S*#T